Former minister’s son remains defiant in PunjabApril 5th, 2009 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Zirakpur (Punjab), April 5 (IANS) The embarrassment for the ruling Akali Dal in Punjab continued Sunday with Jasjit Singh Bunny, son of former minister Kanwaljit Singh, publicly announcing that he would contest for the Patiala Lok Sabha seat as an Independent candidate.
Bunny, who quit the Akali Dal and his post as chairman of Punjab’s cooperative bank Friday, made the announcement from the same dais where Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Akali Dal president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal were sitting during the memorial service (Bhog ceremony) for his father Kanwaljit Singh at Chhat village, 25 km from Chandigarh.
“I will contest for Patiala seat as an Independent candidate and I am determined to win this seat. My father had done many things for the development of the area and I would take forward his legacy,” said Bunny while addressing hundreds of people during the ceremony.
The crowd immediately responded with slogans in his support.
Kanwaljit Singh, a senior and respected Akali Dal leader and close confidant of Badal senior, died in a car crash last Sunday near Chandigarh.
Bunny also announced that his mother would contest the Banur assembly seat, held earlier by his father, as an Independent candidate.
The memorial service for Kanwaljit Singh was attended by hundreds of people, including senior Akali Dal and Congress leaders.
However, Sukhbir Badal and Parkash Singh Badal during their speeches avoided speaking on the issue of Bunny quitting the Akali Dal.
Parkash Singh Badal said, “Kanwaljit’s death is one of the biggest loss for Punjab state. He was just like my right hand in the state politics. In future, I will try to give some responsible duties to Bunny.”
- Late Akali minister's son to contest as independent - Apr 03, 2009
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal pitted against brother for Lambi seat - Dec 31, 2011
- Late minister's son announces return to Akali fold - Apr 08, 2009
- Akali Dal-BJP set to create history in Punjab (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP make major gains in Punjab (Third Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP maintain lead in Punjab (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP create history in Punjab, surprise Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Badal vs Badal: who will be Punjab chief minister? - Mar 06, 2012
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Polling begins for by-elections in 3 Punjab assembly seats - Aug 03, 2009
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Triangular contest on cards in most Punjab seats - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: assembly seat, car crash, chandigarh, chhat, confidant, congress leaders, cooperative bank, dais, deputy chief minister, embarrassment, independent candidate, jasjit singh, last sunday, Lok Sabha, parkash singh badal, patiala, slogans, state politics, sukhbir badal, zirakpur