Former Jharkhand speaker to contest polls as independentMarch 21st, 2009 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 21 (IANS) Former Jharkhand assembly speaker Inder Singh Namdhari Saturday announced that he would contest the Lok Sabha elections as an independent candidate and not on a Janata Dal-United (JD-U) ticket.
Talking to reporters here Saturday Namdhari said: “After I came to know through media reports that Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has conceded two seats Palamau and Chatra to JD-U, I then decided to contest the election as an independent from Chatra seat.”
“JD-U national president Sharad Yadav and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had approached me to contest the Lok Sabha election from Chatra,” he said.
“BJP had in the past assured to support me from the Chatra seat. Since BJP decided to give up two seats for JD-U, I therefore decided to announce my candidature,” he added.
Namdhari was Jharkhand JD-U president in 2004 and 2005 and won the assembly election on a JD-U ticket.
He quit JD-U in 2007 following differences with state leaders. He was speaker of the state assembly on two occasions for nearly six years.
Namdhari joined politics as a BJP member. Later he quit the BJP and joined the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD). He quit RJD and joined JD-U in late 1990s. At present Namdhari is a legislator in the state assembly as an independent.
- Jharkhand parties banking on turncoats - Apr 03, 2009
- Multi-cornered fights in first phase of Jharkhand polls - Apr 13, 2009
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- LJP legislator denies joining Bihar's ruling JD-U - Aug 13, 2011
- BJP, JD-U at daggers drawn in Jharkhand after poll results - May 19, 2009
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Voting in Bihar for Rajya Sabha seats - Jun 17, 2010
- NDA won't win in Bihar: Lalu Prasad - Sep 20, 2010
- JD-U undecided on supporting BJP in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 09, 2009
- Top leaders address rallies in Jharkhand for third phase - Dec 06, 2009
- BJP confident of sweeping polls in Jharkhand - May 14, 2009
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Rajya Sabha poll: BJP says Munda government safe - May 02, 2012
- Rivalry within NDA ahead of Bihar polls - Oct 03, 2010
Tags: assembly election, assembly speaker, bihar, bjp, chief minister, independent candidate, inder singh, janata party, jd, lok sabha election, lok sabha elections, namdhari, national president, nitish kumar, ranchi, rjd, sharad yadav, state assembly, state leaders, two occasions