Former Israel PM convicted but escapes fraud chargeJuly 10th, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, July 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in Jerusalem Tuesday cleared former Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert of multiple fraud and corruption charges but found him guilty of breach of trust while in office.
Olmert said he respects the court for acquitting him of the central corruption charges, stressing that he was only found guilty of “procedural improprieties” and that he would absorb the lessons of the verdict.
“There are judges in Jerusalem,” Olmert said, quoting former prime minister Menachem Begin.
Olmert’s defence attorneys said they would not appeal the verdict if the prosecution does not.
Jerusalem District Attorney Eli Abarbanel admitted his office was surprised by the verdict.
“We didn’t except this ruling, but we can’t make light of the fact that he was convicted of a very serious offence. The court criticised Olmert and found him at fault for gross conflict of interest,” he was quoted by Ynetnews as saying.
Olmert resigned September 2008 amid multiple corruption allegations. The former prime minister has been the first top-level Israeli official to stand trial for such serious offences, which were allegedly committed while in office.
Among other things, Olmert was accused of receiving cash payments from US businessman Morris Talansky, using budget funds to pay for private trips, and lobbying interests for his business partner and friend Uri Messer.
Olmert was also charged with failing to disclose donations from US businessman Joe Almaliah to the state comptroller.
- Ehud Olmert becomes first Israeli PM to face trial - Aug 31, 2009
- Confident Olmert hopes to come out clean following "inhuman witch hunt" - Sep 25, 2009
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- Outgoing Israeli PM Olmert likely to face corruption charges - Mar 02, 2009
- Israeli police recommend indictment of Ehud Olmert - Aug 23, 2010
- Mubarak's information minister jailed - Sep 28, 2011
- Former Israeli president found guilty of rape - Dec 30, 2010
- Russian ex-official involved in $10 mn fraud - Jun 05, 2012
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Tunisia's Ben Ali sentenced to 20 more years in jail - Jun 14, 2012
- Ukraine's ex-PM arrested - Aug 05, 2011
- Poland releases Russian spy on parole - Nov 17, 2011
- Russian ex-oil tycoon convicted in fraud case - Dec 27, 2010
- Berlusconi faces witness manipulating charges - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: abarbanel, breach of trust, budget funds, corruption allegations, corruption charges, defence attorneys, ehud olmert, former israeli prime minister, former prime minister, fraud charge, israeli official, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, jerusalem district, menachem begin, prime minister ehud olmert, private trips, ria novosti, state comptroller, ynetnews