Former Gujarat minister to be sent to jailApril 9th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, April 9 (IANS) Former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani was ordered jailed by a court after her remand period with the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) in a case of 2002 communal violence ended Thursday.
The court refused to grant any further remand to the SIT, which is probing major cases of communal violence, and asked her to be sent to Sabarmati Jail here.
Kodnani faces charges of instigating mobs in Naroda Gam and Naroda Patiya localities of Ahmedabad in the aftermath of the burning of a coach of the Sabarmati Express at Godhra. In both places, over 100 people were killed.
Kodnani resigned as minister of state for higher education, women and child welfare last month after her arrest. She had been declared an absconder for weeks.
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Riot tainted Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani granted bail - May 19, 2009
- Kapil Sibal, Ahmed Patel framed me: Maya Kodnani - Apr 04, 2009
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Kodnani's remand extended till April 4 - Apr 01, 2009
- Ahmedabad court extends police remand of Mayaben Kodnani, Jaideep Patel till April 4 - Apr 01, 2009
- Riot probe team records Gujarat minister's statement - Dec 28, 2008
- Gujarat HC rejects Maya Kodnani's bail plea - Mar 27, 2009
Tags: absconder, aftermath, coach, communal violence, godhra, gujarat minister, higher education, investigation team, localities, maya, minister of state, mobs, sabarmati express, supreme court, women and child welfare