Former BSP minister’s supporters threaten UP LokayuktaMay 7th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 7 (IANS) Men claiming to be supporters of former UP power minister Ramveer Upadhyay Monday allegedly barged into Lokayukta Justice N.K. Mehrotra’s office and threatened the staff after being denied some information and files asked by them.
Upadhyay is a close aide of former chief minister Mayawati.
According to the Lokayukta, who is probing certain allegations against Upadhyay and has been daggers drawn with the once-powerful minister, said some people, calling themselves his supporters, entered his office and sought to see some files pertaining to the investigation.
He added that when his private secretary A.K. Singhal refused to part with the information, they threatened to stone the office and create a ruckus.
The Lokayukta said he had communicated about the incident to senior police officers. Deputy Inspector General of Police Ashutosh Pandey said security had been beefed up at the Lokayukta office.
Justice Mehrotra had some time back had written to the principal secretary (Home) seeking a review of his personal security and that of his office as he was dealing with some cases of corruption against some high level politicians.
Mehrotra, through his various reports, was instrumental in the sacking of more than two dozen ministers of the Mayawati government. He was recently given a two-year extension by the Akhilesh Yadav government.
- Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Akhilesh against bringing chief minister's post under Lokayukta - Apr 26, 2012
- Whistleblower hounded by Uttar Pradesh minister - Sep 15, 2011
- Lokayukta wants another Uttar Pradesh minister to go - Oct 04, 2011
- Minister withdraws plea against Lokayukta - Sep 10, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh minister resigns after Lokayukta's rap - Aug 17, 2011
- UP governor okays bill extending Lokayukta's term - Jul 07, 2012
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
- BJP charges Mayawati with Rs.3,000 crore power scam - Sep 26, 2011
- Congress asks Akhilesh to act against BSP leaders - May 18, 2012
- Mulayam, Akhilesh get Z-plus security cover - Apr 12, 2012
- Sack minister indicted by Lok Ayukta, Congress tells Mayawati - Nov 29, 2011
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh Lok Ayukta recommends removal of 'corrupt' minister - Aug 16, 2011
- Lokayukta gets a complaint and 100 kg 'evidence' - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, allegations, ashutosh, bsp, chief minister, corruption, deputy inspector general, dozen ministers, lucknow, mehrotra, personal security, police officers, politicians, power minister, principal secretary, private secretary, ruckus, singhal, upadhyay