Former Brazil president Lula diagnosed with cancerOctober 30th, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Brasilia, Oct 30 (IANS/EFE) Former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who quit power Jan 1, has been diagnosed with throat cancer, the hospital where he will undergo treatment has said.
Lula, 66, underwent tests Saturday at Sao Paulo’s Sirio-Libanes Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a tumour in his larynx, a hospital statement said.
The former president will begin chemotherapy sessions soon, it said.
One of the immediate recommendations made by doctors for Lula is to stop smoking for ever, a habit he has indulged in for decades.
In recent days, Lula has complained that his voice, always very deep, was now hoarser than ever, said one of his close associates.
Lula, the most popular leader in Brazil’s political history, took office in 2003 and handed over power Jan 1 to Dilma Rousseff, his handpicked successor.
Rousseff was successfully treated at the same hospital for cancer of the lymphatic system that was detected in 2009.
- Former Brazil president Lula has cancer - Oct 29, 2011
- Ex-Brazilian president fears losing voice - Mar 31, 2012
- Brazil's ex-president discharged from hospital - Feb 18, 2012
- Paraguayan president cleared of cancer - Jan 28, 2012
- Brazil cabinet minister quits - Feb 03, 2012
- Rousseff first woman to win Brazil's presidential election (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 02, 2010
- Lula biopic to represent Brazil at Oscars - Sep 24, 2010
- US calls Chavez cancer comment horrific - Dec 30, 2011
- 'Two more Latin American presidents will get cancer' - Jan 05, 2012
- Brazil's sports minister quits - Oct 27, 2011
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Brazilian economy creates 2.5 mn new jobs - Dec 17, 2010
- Brazil's president says her cancer has `resolved' - Sep 13, 2011
- US, Brazil agree to closer defence ties - Apr 10, 2012
- Brazilian president-elect invites ex-cellmates to inauguration - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: brazilian president luiz inacio lula, chemotherapy, close associates, dilma rousseff, former president, habit, inacio, larynx, luiz inacio lula da silva, lula da silva, lymphatic system, oct 30, political history, president luiz inacio lula, president luiz inacio lula da silva, sao paulo, sirio libanes, throat cancer, tumour, vm