Former Bengal governor thanks Mamata for mooting his nameJuly 16th, 2012 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 16 (IANS) Former West Bengal Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi whose name was mooted by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for the post of the country’s vice president, has thanked the Trinamool Congress supremo, saying he was “touched” by her gesture.
“I write this to convey my sincere thanks to you (Banerjee) for having thought of me and suggested my name to your partners in the UPA (United Progressive Alliance), for fielding me as the UPA’s candidate for the high office of vice president of India,” wrote Gandhi in the letter, which was posted by Banerjee on Facebook.
Addressing Banerjee as “dear and esteemed chief minister”, Gandhi wrote: “The consistency and steadfastness with which you have reposed trust in me, a non-political participant in our public life, has touched me.”
“I see in it a reflection of the overwhelming affection which the people of West Bengal have extended to me, something which I shall always cherish and can never forget,” wrote Gandhi.
Banerjee’s Trinamool had proposed the names of Gandhi and Krishna Bose, a former parliamentarian and wife of Sishir Bose, Netaji Subash Chandra Bose’s nephew, for the position of the vice-president.
But Gandhi has declined to contest the election.
- Decision on vice president later: Mamata - Jul 17, 2012
- UPA renominates Ansari for vice president; Trinamool does not concur (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- PM calls Mamata to seek support for Ansari - Jul 15, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Dhumal reaches out to Mamata on vice presidential poll - Jul 15, 2012
- I accept re-nomination with all humility, says Ansari - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Sonia to select Congress presidential candidate - Jun 04, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Left yet to take a call on presidential polls: Biman Bose - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata government to give civic reception to president - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: banerjee, chief minister, consistency, gandhi, gesture, gopal krishna, nephew, overwhelming affection, parliamentarian, participant, president of india, progressive alliance, reflection, steadfastness, subash chandra bose, trinamool congress, UPA, vice president of india, west bengal