Former Assam governor Loknath Mishra deadMay 27th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 27 (IANS) Former governor of Assam and parliamentarian Loknath Mishra died here Wednesday of complications due to old age, his family said. He was 86.
Mishra was a member of the Rajya Sabha for three consecutive terms from 1960 to 1978. He was governor of Assam in the early 1990s.
He is survived by one son and one daughter. His son Pinaki Mishra is a well known lawyer and a MP of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD).
Governor M.C. Bhandare, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, Speaker Pradip Amat and former chief minister J.B. Patnaik were among those who condoled Mishra’s death.
“He (Loknath Mishra) was a popular and respectable personality. He was loved by many,” Patnaik said in his condolence message.
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers - Jun 01, 2012
- Odisha protests neglect in railway budget - Mar 15, 2012
- Special programmes mark Biju Patnaik's birth anniversary - Mar 05, 2012
- Orissa abduction: Uproar in assembly - Mar 24, 2012
- Orissa ex-MP Khagapati Pradhani dies - Feb 04, 2010
- Patnaik slams petrol price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012