Forensic experts to probe murder of Maharashtra Congress leaderJune 11th, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 11 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has summoned forensic and ballistic experts to help probe the murder of Congress leader Pavan Raje Nimbalkar allegedly by his cousin and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MP Padamsinh Patil, an official said here Thursday.
The team will assist the CBI probe the murder, which has created a political storm in Maharashtra and led to Patil’s suspension from the NCP.
The experts will examine the evidence collected so far by the Navi Mumbai police and also attempt to trace the antecedents of the green Tata Indica car used by the killers to commit the crime and escape, the official said Thursday evening.
On July 3, 2006, the killers came in the vehicle, shot Nimbalkar and his driver Samad Qazi, at Kalamboli (near Panvel) in Navi Mumbai, sped off and hid the car in a nearby village. Nimbalkar was lured there on the pretext of striking a business deal.
The vehicle was later set on fire, but the investigators managed to extract the chassis number from the burnt debris. The CBI will now trace out the vehicle owner through the chassis number.
After his arrest by the CBI last Sunday, a court in Panvel, around 100 km from Mumbai, remanded Patil to custody till June 14.
Patil has been charged with the murder and conspiracy to kill Nimbalkar and slapped with Indian Penal Code Sec. 302 and Sec. 120-B, dealing with murder and conspiracy to murder, respectively.
Underworld sharp-shooter Dineshram M. Tiwari (37) and his supervisor Parasmal T. Jain (47), were arrested by the CBI May 25 in connection with the case.
In their confessional recorded before a magistrate, the duo also made the sensational disclosure of receiving a Rs.2.50 milion contract to eliminate renowned social and anti-corruption crusader, Anna Hazare, a Magsaysay Award winner.
The contract to kill Nimbalkar and Hazare was given by two businessmen Mohan Shukla and Satish Mandade, who have also been arrested by the CBI and are in custody.
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with murder of Congress leader (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with Congress leader's murder, in CBI custody (Fourth Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Slain Congress leader's wife wants trial in Mumbai - Mar 11, 2012
- Accused NCP MP sent to CBI custody till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
- Murder accused NCP MP in jail till July 3 - Jun 20, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil in CBI custody for Congress leader's murder (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Patil's CBI custody extended till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 - Jun 07, 2011
- NCP MP arrested for Congress leader's murder (Fifth Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- CBI quizzes Anna Hazare in Nimbalkar murder - Jun 09, 2009
- Plot to kill Magsaysay winner Anna Hazare revealed (Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- CBI files 5000-page chargesheet against Padamsinh Patil - Aug 20, 2009
- CBI to challenge Maharashtra MP's bail in murder case (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- NCP MP gets bail in Nimbalkar murder case - Sep 25, 2009
Tags: business deal, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chassis number, congress leader, forensic experts, indian penal code, magsaysay award, nationalist congress party, navi mumbai, ncp, nearby village, panvel, political storm, qazi, satish, sharp shooter, shukla, tata indica car, vehicle owner