‘Food security bill can be global example’July 17th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) The proposed National Food Security Bill has the potential to be a global example, experts from the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) and Oxfam said here Tuesday.
“India stands at the threshold of potentially the largest step towards food justice the world has ever seen, as the National Food Security Bill works its way through parliament,” Lawrence Haddad, director of the Britain-based IDS, said.
“Although the bill alone won’t fix India’s food system, the world will be watching to see if it can provide a template for other countries to follow,” Haddad said ahead of the launch of a bulletin by IDS and voluntary organisation Oxfam in the national capital.
The bill aims to give legal right to cheaper foodgrain to 63.5 per cent of the population. Around 180 million households — 65 million below poverty line (BPL) and 115 million above poverty line (APL) category families — get subsidised rations under the PDS through the fair price shops.
The bulletin examines food justice in the country and addresses questions on empowering the marginalised and women.
“Due to India’s large population, the country is home to 42 percent of the world’s underweight children and 31 per cent of its stunted children. India has alarming levels of hunger on the global hunger index,” said Nisha Agrawal, chief executive officer of Oxfam India.
- Committed to food security bill: Thomas - Jul 18, 2012
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- CPI-M denounces Food Security Bill - Dec 16, 2011
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Food security bill before cabinet soon' - Jul 21, 2011
- Give surplus foodgrain free to poor: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Food security bill to be tabled in monsoon session - Jul 26, 2011
- Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: Sarkar - Jul 12, 2012
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Government exporting food, keeping people hungry: Brinda Karat - Aug 01, 2012
- Can't follow tips on foodgrain storage, Supreme Court told (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Will delay in poverty survey affect food security bill? - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: alarming levels, bpl, chief executive officer, food system, global hunger, households, july 17, launch, lawrence haddad, marginalised, national food security, New Delhi, oxfam, pds, poverty line, rations, security bill, threshold, underweight children, voluntary organisation