Flipside of Anna’s movement: Traffic violations galoreAugust 24th, 2011 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) Activist Anna Hazare may be fighting to wipe out corruption from society but what is drawing the ire of the police is the growing number of traffic violations by his supporters, with 336 people being booked for various offences over the last three days.
A total of 170 protesters were booked in the capital for triple riding and riding two wheelers without helmets Tuesday, said Joint Commissioner of Police Traffic Satyendra Garg.
“On the day before, it was 126 prosecutions. The day before that there were 40 challans (fines),” Garg posted on the traffic police’s Facebook page late Tuesday.
“Apart from onthe spot prosecutions, we have video recordings of hundreds of violations for which we will be sending challans to registered addresses,” he added.
Urging people people to follow traffic rules, Garg said: “A request from traffic police to everybody to follow traffic rules for one’s own safety and discipline on the road.”
Hazare’s fast which started Aug 16 and entered the ninth day Wednesday, has drawn thousands of supporters from across the country.
Sumita Sharma, a housewife and supporter of Hazare’s cause said: “I am all for Anna’s cause. However it’s sad that a bunch of people who claim to be his supporters flout traffic norms and misbehave with women…it just gives the whole movement a bad name.”
“These people should realise that their silly mistakes can jeopardize Anna’s epic movement and what he is fighting for at the cost of his life,” said Rajesh Sharma, an office-goer.
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhi traffic cops' powers curbed - Jun 11, 2011
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Delhi Traffic Police chief upset with VIP law breakers - Feb 07, 2011
- Delhi complying with rules against tinted glasses: Police - May 05, 2012
- Nearly 24,000 Delhiites fined for tinted glasses - May 11, 2012
- 181 more prosecuted for drunk driving - Mar 10, 2012
- Holi revellers warned against breaking traffic rules - Mar 19, 2011
- Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in Delhi - May 28, 2012
- Around 850 fined for entering Games lanes - Sep 30, 2010
- 4,000 auto drivers challaned in the capital - Oct 30, 2010
- Over 500 jaywalkers prosecuted in three days - Jan 22, 2012
- One for the road gets 388 challaned on New Year Eve - Jan 01, 2011
- 486 prosecuted for excess tinted glass on vehicles - Jul 14, 2011
- 15 booked for using red beacons on vehicles - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, challans, commissioner of police, facebook, flipside, garg, housewife, misbehave, New Delhi, ninth day, norms, police traffic, prosecutions, protesters, silly mistakes, sumita, traffic police, traffic rules, traffic violations, video recordings