Five die of heart attack during Russian pollsMarch 5th, 2012 - 10:20 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Five people died of heart attacks at separate polling stations during the presidential elections in Russia Sunday, police said.
One man — a 65-year-old member of a local election commission in Zelenograd in northern Moscow — went for a cigarette break a few minutes before polling was supposed to open, when he suffered a massive heart attack and died.
A 53-year-old man, who had been discharged from hospital two days ago, died from a heart attack after getting his ballot paper at a polling station in Omsk, West Siberia.
A 77-year-old pensioner died near a polling station in Moscow, a 59-year old former school principal died in Domna village as she arrived at a polling station, while a 72-year-old woman died five metres away from her polling station in Volgograd.
Russians voted Sunday to elect a president for the fifth time in the nation’s post-Soviet history. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is facing four opponents.
- 116-year-old man votes in Russian polls - Mar 05, 2012
- Ice swimmers vote semi-naked in Russia's Siberia - Mar 05, 2012
- Photographer falls to death at Moscow rally - May 07, 2012
- Russians head for polls to elect new president (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Russians head for polls to elect new president - Mar 04, 2012
- Over 380,000 policemen for Russia's election day - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia votes as Putin seeks Kremlin return (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia votes for parliament, a test of Putin's leadership - Dec 04, 2011
- Russia enters 'day of silence' - Mar 03, 2012
- New Russian cabinet could use tycoon Prokhorov: Putin - Mar 08, 2012
- Putin votes in parliament polls - Dec 04, 2011
- Russian ex-cop charged over dislike of ruling party - Aug 11, 2012
- Medvedev to make final state-of-the-nation address - Dec 22, 2011
- Russian election chief wants transparent ballot boxes - Dec 23, 2011
- 600,000 Russians to watch presidential poll online - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: ballot paper, election commission, fifth time, heart attack, heart attacks, massive heart attack, old woman, omsk, pensioner, polling station, polling stations, presidential elections, ria novosti, russians, school principal, siberia, soviet history, vladimir putin, west siberia, zelenograd