Five detained for locking Kashmir House in DelhiMay 18th, 2012 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) Five members of the Delhi-based Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena (BSKS) were detained for a few hours here Thursday for locking the main gate of the Jammu and Kashmir House demand an increase in the duration of the Amarnath Yatra, police said.
A case has been filed against all five.
“They locked the main gate of the Jammu and Kashmir House ataround 4.30 p.m. We reached the spot and broke the lock and detained all ofthem. We let them off after filing an FIR,” a police official said.
BSKS president Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga said: “We want the duration of the Amarnath Yatra to increase to at least 120 days and our struggle will continue till our demand is met.”
Bagga claimed that Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was locked inside for an hour while they protested outside. Police however, refused to verify this claim.
Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) which manages the shrine and is headed by Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra, has decided to start the pilgrimage June 25 and to end Aug 2 (39 days), the full moon day of the Hindu month of ‘Shravan’.
Hindu groups Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Bajrang Dal want the pilgrimage period to be two months.
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: amarnath yatra, aug 2, bagga, bhagat singh, fir, full moon day, hindu groups, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kranti, pilgrimage, police official, sasb, sena, shravan, shrine board, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad, vohra