FIR against Lalu, Nitish cries ‘law breaker’ (Lead)November 1st, 2010 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Nov 1 (IANS) Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad was Monday booked for violating the model code of conduct for entering a poll booth with his security guards. And political rival Chief Minister Nitish Kumar lost no time in calling him a “habitual law breaker”.
“This (Lalu’s action) violated the model code of conduct as security guards cannot enter the polling booth premises,” a police official said about the first information report (FIR) that had been lodged against Lalu Prasad.
The RJD chief and his wife, former chief minister Rabri Devi, cast their votes at a booth in Patna’s Digha constituency during the fourth phase of the Bihar polls.
“Lalu Yadav is a habitual law breaker, it is an old habit for him and he will not improve,” Nitish Kumar told reporters outside a polling booth in his hometown of Bakhtiyarpur.
“He enjoys breaking the law…neither his speech nor his action can ever be improved,” the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader said.
“A system has been formed by the Election Commission for conducting free and fair polls, it should be followed. Breaking the law is not an act of bravery, he (Lalu Prasad) takes pride in it. There is a line of decency for every political party, following it we can strengthen the democracy…he can never change,” Nitish Kumar said.
However, senior RJD leader Ram Kirpal Yadav defended his party chief and said Lalu Prasad was not responsible for the security guards walking with him.
“The police on duty should have stopped the security guards,” he said.
Voting was under way in Monday in the fourth phase of the Bihar assembly elections in 42 constituencies across eight districts, including Patna.
- 33 percent voting in Bihar polls, FIR against Lalu (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Sporadic trouble in round four of Bihar polls (Roundup) - Nov 01, 2010
- FIR against Lalu for violating code of conduct - Nov 01, 2010
- Lalu Yadav a habitual lawbreaker, says Nitish Kumar - Nov 01, 2010
- Bihar polls: Case filed against Lalu, Rabri for violating model code - Nov 01, 2010
- Peaceful voting on in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Lalu to march to Bihar's villages 'to expose' Nitish - May 14, 2012
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Ex-RJD MP's relative among two killed in Patna - Jul 10, 2012
- Lalu attacks Nitish over Modi handshake (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Lalu plans protest against Bihar government - May 28, 2012
- Nitish Kumar's mother cremated - Jan 02, 2011
- Nitish, Rabri Devi file nominations - Apr 11, 2012
- Bihar's fourth phase witnesses 45 per cent voter turnout - Nov 01, 2010
- Bihar polls: Voting under way for third phase (Second Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,