Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CECFebruary 1st, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 1 (IANS) Finger printing and spot photographs of all voters across India might soon be made mandatory if a pilot project commissioned by the Election Commission of India (ECI) in Goa is successful, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) S.Y. Quraishi said Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters here, the CEC said the exercise of photographing and finger-printing of voters, which has been going on in Goa over the last two polls — for the Lok Sabha and the Zilla Panchayat, was in its final stages of fine tuning.
“If it works well in the (2014) general elections too, then we will have it in all other states,” Quraishi said.
The exercise of photographing and finger-printing of voters will also figure during the upcoming assembly polls in the state March 3.
The CEC, who was in Goa to take stock of the poll preparations ahead of the March 3 assembly polls, also said that the state, which has nearly 11 lakh registered voters was almost picture perfect, as far as electoral photo identity cards (EPIC) coverage and completion of voter rolls was concerned.
“Goa is nearly 100 percent covered as far as EPICs and photo electoral rolls are concerned. We are happy with the coverage, although very, very few people are not yet covered,” Quraishi said.
- Remo to play pied piper to young Goan voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Don't dare to ignore poll panel's directives, Goa warned - Feb 02, 2012
- Paid news phenomenon bothersome: Poll panel head - Aug 23, 2011
- Cricket first, poll meet with PM later! - Feb 02, 2012
- Helpless about spending before poll dates announced: EC - Aug 24, 2011
- Vote without fear, Election Commission tells electorate - Apr 12, 2011
- Only 2 NRI applications for voting so far: poll panel - Aug 23, 2011
- 'Photo voters card should be produced for voting' - Mar 28, 2011
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Election Commission to give tips to Jordan - Mar 17, 2012
- Poll official moved out from Kamat constituency - Feb 08, 2012
- Poll panel for hiking candidates' expenses - Feb 12, 2011
- Voters to be photographed, finger-printed for first time - Oct 06, 2010
- Quraishi to review Uttar Pradesh poll preparedness - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, cec, chief election commissioner, election commission of india, election commission of india eci, electoral rolls, epics, exercise, finger printing, general elections, goa, lakh, Lok Sabha, panaji, photo identity cards, photographs, pilot project, quraishi, registered voters, zilla panchayat