Find out source of Hazare’s funds, Congress to governmentAugust 18th, 2011 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) The Congress Wednesday asked the government to probe the source of funds of social activist Anna Hazare’s massive anti-corruption crusade and also wondered why the US suddenly chose to remark on the movement.
“It needs to be considered whether there is any power which is supporting this movement which wants to destabilize not only the government but the country. We need to take the US statements (on the protest) seriously,” Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters.
“The US never supported any movement in India since its independence. For the first time, the US said that Anna Hazare’s movement should be allowed and there should be no obstruction to it. What was the need for the US to give this statement,” he asked.
He said India would exercise “appropriate democratic restraint” in dealing with the peaceful protest.
- Congress terms US remarks on Anna fast 'objectionable' - Aug 12, 2011
- Congress links Anna with RSS; 'Lost its mind', BJP retorts (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Whose 'foreign hand' behind Hazare? asks Opposition - Aug 18, 2011
- Congress changes tack, opts not to attack Hazare - Aug 19, 2011
- US blames wrong reporting for tiff over Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Congress terms Anna's fast premature, insult to parliament - Dec 11, 2011
- Bihar's ruling alliance slams UPA government on Hazare arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- What's wrong with US remark on fast: Team Anna - Aug 13, 2011
- Team Anna apologises to media for scuffle - Jul 31, 2012
- Black flags should be shown to BJP: Congress - Jan 01, 2012
- Anna issues ultimatum to Congress, battlelines drawn - Oct 05, 2011
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Congress condemns attempted attack on Kejriwal - Oct 18, 2011
- Anna gets Left, right support for strong Lokpal (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011