Final phase of polling begins in OrissaApril 23rd, 2009 - 9:35 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 23 (IANS) The last of the two phase Lok Sabha and assembly elections began in Orissa amid tight security Thursday morning, officials said.
Hundreds of people were seen standing outside polling booths in the capital when voting began at 7 a.m.
“Voting started peacefully. No untoward incidents have been reported from any part of the state so far,” a police official said.
An electorate of more than 14.5 million, including about seven million women, will decide the fate of 84 candidates contesting 11 Lok Sabha seats and 688 politicians contesting 77 assembly constituencies.
Prominent among the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidates contesting the Lok Sabha elections in the second phase are M.A. Kharabela Swain (Balasore), Ananta Nayak (Keonjhar) and Braja Kishore Tripathy (Puri). Tripathy had resigned from the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) on being denied a ticket and joined the BJP.
From the Congress, former central minister Srikanta Jena is contesting from Balasore, and Ranjib Biswal from Kendrapada. Among the key BJD candidates are industrialist- turned Rajya Sabha member Baijayant Jay Panda (Kendrapada), Tathagat Satpathy (Dhenkanal) and Pinaki Mishra (Puri).
- 12-15 percent voting in Orissa in first two hours (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Keen contest for last phase of polls in Orissa (Poll curtainraiser - Orissa) - Apr 22, 2009
- Polling in Orissa more than 60 percent despite scorching heat (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Key contests on Thursday - Apr 22, 2009
- BJD fields highest number of crorepatis in Orissa - Apr 12, 2009
- Turncoats in demand as parties scramble for candidates - Apr 10, 2009
- Turncoats in demand as parties scramble for candidates (Reissuing with correction in paragraph 13th) - Apr 10, 2009
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Court orders fresh poll in Orissa assembly constituency - Jun 23, 2010
- Orissa's BJD denies ticket to former minister - Apr 02, 2009
- Orissa polls will be family affair - Mar 31, 2009
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- BJP announces 46 more candidates for Lok Sabha polls - Mar 13, 2009
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
Tags: ananta, assembly constituencies, assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, biju, biswal, bjd, braja, final phase, industrialist, kishore, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, mishra, police official, polling booths, rajya sabha member, tight security, tripathy