Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanityApril 24th, 2009 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, April 24 (DPA) Fiji’s military strongman Voreqe Bainimarama, who took control in a coup 29 months ago, was Friday given one of the Pacific island nation’s highest awards for service to humanity, according to reports from the capital Suva.
Bainimarama was honoured by President Ratu Josefa Iloilo, who reappointed him as prime minister two weeks ago, after sacking judges of the Court of Appeal who had declared the post-coup government illegal.
In a ceremony at Government House, Bainimarama was made a Companion of the Order of Fiji for his “eminent achievement and merit of highest degree and service to Fiji and to humanity at large”, the Fijilive website reported.
When he sacked the judges, Iloilo revoked Fiji’s constitution and decreed that elections to restore democracy would not be held before September 2014.
Bainimarama had refused calls by New Zealand, Australia, the European Union, the US and the Pacific Islands Forum to restore democracy by holding elections this year.
Bainimarama, who accused the previous government of being corrupt and biased in favour of the indigenous Fijian majority against the ethnic Indian minority, has refused to go to the polls until a new one-man, one-vote electoral system is in place.
- Emergency in Fiji as president revokes constitution (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Fiji president revokes constitution, no election till 2014 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Fiji president revokes constitution, bans elections to 2014 - Apr 10, 2009
- Military coup was illegal, rules Fiji court - Apr 09, 2009
- Fiji military government censors media - Apr 12, 2009
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Fiji strongman Bainimarama back in charge - Apr 11, 2009
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Former Fiji premier faces corruption trial - Jan 15, 2010
- Fiji military government tightens control - Apr 14, 2009
- Fiji military regime bans all media criticism - Apr 13, 2009
- Fiji's neighbours disagree on how to deal with its military regime - May 19, 2009
- Fiji hopes against suspension from regional bloc - Apr 29, 2009
- Fiji strongman Bainimarama back in power (Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- Fiji regime extends emergency powers till end of the year - Jul 02, 2009
Tags: april 24, bainimarama, capital suva, companion, court of appeal, dpa, electoral system, eminent achievement, european union, favour, fijilive, government house, honour, iloilo, military strongman, new zealand australia, pacific island nation, pacific islands forum, prime minister, wellington