Fight in 2014 on achievements, says GandhiMay 22nd, 2012 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi Tuesday said the results of 2014 general elections would be based on what the government has done and not what it promised.
“I know these are difficult times but there is no room for despondency… the 2014 elections are only two years away,” she said at the release of the UPA government’s annual report on its third anniversary.
“We will not let any body run down our achievements,” she said.
Stressing on the need for transparent and accountable politics, Gandhi said the government will have to pursue economic growth to ensure more spending on social welfare programmes.
She said the initiatives taken during the UPA-I like the rural job scheme and a scheme for the unorganised sector workers were further strengthened in the past year.
- UPA-II high on economy, to combat Maoism, corruption (Night Lead) - May 22, 2012
- PM announces rural wage hike, Sonia wants new direction(Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- No question of PM stepping down: Sonia - Mar 07, 2012
- PM concerned over delayed NREGA wages, Sonia suggests reforms (second lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress hopes all parties will support Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- Sonia defends PM, stresses Congress unity (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Government keen to reduce loan rate for self help groups: Ramesh - Jul 19, 2011
- Plan panel in opposition line of fire over poverty norm (Third Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Why no social security for unorganised workers, NAC asks government - Apr 30, 2012
- Manmohan Singh emphasises on need to strengthen panchayats - Apr 24, 2011
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- President's office should not be sought after: Pranab (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- UPA firm on anti-graft steps: Sonia Gandhi - May 22, 2011
- Reforms or populism? UPA must take a call (Comment) - May 26, 2012
- Congress wooing Mulayam with polls in mind - May 23, 2012
Tags: anniversary, annual report, chairperson, despondency, difficult times, economic growth, general elections, initiatives, job, New Delhi, progressive alliance, sector workers, social welfare, sonia gandhi, unorganised sector, UPA