Fight graft only through political system, says Rahul GandhiOctober 5th, 2011 - 12:11 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 4 (IANS) In an apparent rebuttal to social activist Anna Hazare, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Tuesday said corruption can be fought only through the political system.
Speaking at a Youth Congress convention here, Gandhi said people talk of fighting corruption but it can be fought through democratic means.
“If you want to fight corruption, then this can only be done through the political system, through democratic means,” he said.
Gandhi’s remarks came on a day when social activist Anna Hazare announced resumption of his agitation for a strong Lokpal bill and a campaign against the Congress in Hisar Lok Sabha by-election Oct 13.
Hazare also said that if the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government did not live up to its promise of passing a strong anti-graft legislation in accordance with the Jan Lokpal bill, he would also agitate against the party in the forthcoming assembly polls.
However, Gandhi did not name anyone in his speech.
Leaders from political parties such as Congress and Bahujan Samaj Party have in the past asked Team Hazare to contest elections and bring about the changes they desired to improve the polity.
Gandhi, who travelled by metro and then radio taxi to the venue of Youth Congress convention at Rohini in north Delhi, said politics should not be out of reach of the ordinary youth of the country.
He said if political organisations become more democratic, it would be a major step towards fighting corruption.
The young Congress leader has led efforts to democratise Youth Congress by invigorating its process of internal elections.
Gandhi boarded the metro train at the Race Course Metro Station - his decision to travel by public transport coming as a surprise to party activists.
Youth Congress leaders said the convention and potential candidates meet was held during a membership drive in Delhi which will conclude Oct 11.
- Anna issues ultimatum to Congress, battlelines drawn - Oct 05, 2011
- All-party meeting called on Lokpal as Hazare targets Congress (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011
- Only one Mahatma for India, no one crusader against corruption: CPI (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Congress hits out at Hazare over remarks on Rahul, Sonia - Dec 13, 2011
- There is only one Mahatma for India, says CPI (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Young Congress MPs nuance Congress stance on Hazare fast - Aug 26, 2011
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Ramdev-Anna alliance will not lead to results: Samajwadi Party - Jun 03, 2012
- Don't vote for Congress: Hazare appeals to Hisar voters - Oct 07, 2011
- BSP backs Anna, Lokpal heat is on government (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- Your supporters misleading you, Digvijay tells Anna (Roundup) - Oct 11, 2011
- Anna threatens of a bigger Lokpal movement - Mar 23, 2012
- Anna threatens a bigger Lokpal movement (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Hazare breaks maun vrat, Team Anna meets Lokpal panel - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,