Fearing Maoist violence, Bihar seeks four IAF choppersMarch 26th, 2009 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 26 (IANS) Bihar has sought four Indian Air Force (IAF) helicopters from the central government for aerial surveillance, particlarly in areas hit by Maoist insurgency, during the Lok Sabha elections in April-May.
“The government has sought four helicopters from the centre for aerial surveillance in Maoist affected districts during the polls,” said an official in the state home department.
The state will deploy three choppers during the first phase of the polls to 13 Lok Sabha seats April 16, and one chopper will be kept on standby. Most Maoist insurgency hit areas will see elections in the first phase.
These include the Magadh division, comprising Gaya, Aurangabad, Jehanabad, Arwal, Nawada, Sasaram, the Tirhut division made up of Saran, Siwan, Gopalganj and Maharajganj, as well as the Ara district.
Maoists, who have called for a boycott of the general elections, have a strong presence in the rural areas of these seats.
“The threat of violence looms large over the polls in Bihar again, as the Maoists have opposed the elections,” said a police official.
In the 1999 Lok Sabha polls, 74 people were killed. About 20 people were killed in the 2004 general elections and the toll was a staggering 158 during the 2001 panchayat elections.
Bihar will hold the parliamentary elections over four phases on April 16, 23, 30 and May 7.
- Aerial vigil of booths to curb Maoist violence in Bihar - Apr 14, 2009
- Maoists threaten to chop hands of voters in Bihar - Apr 08, 2009
- Bihar goes to polls amid heavy security - Apr 16, 2009
- Over 30 percent voting in Bihar till afternoon as Maoists kill two (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- 50 percent voting amid Maoists violence in Bihar (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Poor voter turnout in Bihar in initial hours (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Bengal polls: Choppers deployed in Maoist-hit districts - May 05, 2011
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Caste to play main role in Bihar fifth phase poll (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 08, 2010
- Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Second Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Bomb blast mars Bihar panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Millions vote in Bihar -- peacefully again (Evening Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting under way in Bihar amid Maoist disruptions (Third Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: aerial surveillance, aurangabad, boycott, central government, chopper, general elections, helicopters, indian air force, insurgency, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoists, nawada, panchayat elections, parliamentary elections, patna, police official, saran, siwan