FDI in retail on pause: CongressDecember 5th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The Congress Monday said the government has “paused” the decision on foreign equity in retail and any announcement on its future would only be made in parliament.
“This is just a pause. Any annoucement can be made only in parliament and we have an open mind on the issue,” Congress spokesperson Renuka Chaudhary told reporters.
There is still no clarity from the government on the FDI issue after key ally Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, who is opposed to the move, Saturday quoted Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as saying that the decision had been put on hold till a consensus emerges.
However, Chaudhary said “there is no problem in managing the allies”, and “the party is waiting for parliament to function.”
“We want to take everybody together,” she said, adding “consultations are on and allies were consulted before the decision.”
She expressed hope “Mamata will see reason.”
The Congress spokesperson criticised the Bharatiya Janata Party for its “double standards” on the issue and said the party tends to forget what is used to say on the FDI issue in 2002.
She said the BJP had favoured FDI in retail in 2002.
“The BJP should substantiate why it is demanding a roll back of the FDI in retail,” said Chaudhary.
The Congress spokesperson also clarified that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is believed to have pushed the FDI in retail proposal in the cabinet, is “not alone” on the issue in the party.
- No loss of face in decision to pause FDI in retail: Congress - Dec 07, 2011
- Heat on FDI grows, government calls all-party meeting - Dec 05, 2011
- Opposition insists on FDI rollback ahead of all-party meet (Roundup) - Dec 06, 2011
- Ally Trinamool joins BJP, Left in opposing FDI in retail - Nov 24, 2011
- BJP to consult allies on demand for special session of parliament - Sep 19, 2012
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- For peace in parliament, FDI policy 'suspended' for now - Dec 07, 2011
- Sense has prevailed with government: BJP - Dec 03, 2011
- All-party meeting called to end parliament stalemate - Dec 06, 2011
- Mamata says FDI decision on hold; government mum - Dec 03, 2011
- NCP supports decision to put FDI on hold - Dec 03, 2011
- Presidential poll: Priority to evolve consensus, says Congress - May 03, 2012
- Congress gives wholesale support to PM on retail FDI - Nov 30, 2011
- Congress core group discusses parliament stalemate over FDI - Dec 03, 2011
- Opposition demand to roll back FDI political blackmail: Congress - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: allies, ally, annoucement, bharatiya janata party, bjp, clarity, congress chief, consensus, consultations, fdi in retail, finance minister, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, parliament, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, spokesperson