FBI warns Obama over shifting Guantanamo detainees to USMay 22nd, 2009 - 4:54 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 22 (IANS) The FBI has warned President Barack Obama of the risks involved in transferring the Guantanamo Bay detainees to the US after the controversial prison camp is permanently closed, a media report said Thursday.
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) director Robert Mueller expressed concern about moving some 240 suspected terrorists into the US even if they are deemed to be no longer a risk, Geo TV said.
“The concerns we have about individuals who may support terrorism being in the US run from concerns about providing financing to terrorists, radicalising others, (and) the potential for individuals undertaking attacks in the United States,” he said.
Although Mueller concedes that the detainees are unlikely to escape from the US jails.
“If you’re talking about physical danger, in terms of being able to escape and undertake an attack - no,” he said.
However, he said the Guantanamo detainees could still pose a threat.
“I will caveat by saying that in gang activity around the country, using it as an analogy, there are individuals that are in our prisons today, as I think you and others are familiar, who operate their gangs from inside the walls of prison,” he said.
The Senate earlier voted overwhelmingly to block the transfer of detainees, and also turned down Obama’s request for $80 million that he needed to close the prison.
The White House said Obama has not decided yet on the transfer of the detainees.
The prison camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba was established by the US military to try Al Qaeda suspects after the 9/11 terror attacks in US cities in 2001.
- Obama reverses order halting military trails of Guantanamo detainees - Mar 08, 2011
- Obama defends plans to close Guantanamo - Sep 11, 2010
- US to release five Taliban from Guantanamo? - Apr 01, 2012
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- A year later, Obama falters on pledge to shut Guantanamo - Jan 14, 2010
- US prosecutors file fresh charges against 9/11 suspects - Jun 01, 2011
- Guantanamo detainees transferred to Latvia, Spain - Jul 23, 2010
- Guantanamo prison stays despite Obama's deadline - Jan 22, 2010
- Six Uighurs released from Guantanamo sent to Palau - Nov 01, 2009
- 35 Guantanamo detainees trained as terrorists in London - Apr 26, 2011
- Mullah Omar talking peace with US - Jan 06, 2012
- Guantanamo prison won't be closed by January as planned - Sep 27, 2009
- Leaked US documents show some Gitmao prisoners held for years on 'flimsy ground' - Apr 25, 2011
- Osama and Zawahiri to be kept at Guantanamo if captured: CIA - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, analogy, barack obama, caveat, director robert, fbi, fbi director, federal bureau of investigation, gang activity, gangs, geo tv, guantanamo bay, guantanamo detainees, investigation fbi, jails, physical danger, prison camp, prisons, robert mueller, terror attacks