Father-son duo to contest polls on Trinamool ticketMarch 12th, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 12 (IANS) Trinamool Congress Thursday announced names of 27 candidates in West Bengal for the Lok Sabha and among them is a father-son duo, both legislators, contesting from neighbouring seats in East Midnapore district.
Seventy-one-year-old Sisir Adikari, a legislator from Egra, will contest from Contai against Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) candidate Prasanta Pradhan.
HIs son Subhendu, 35, legislator from Contai South, will take on CPI-M strongman Laxman Seth in Tamluk, which includes trouble-torn Nandigeam where violent protests forced the state’s ruling Left Front to abandon its bid to establish a chemical hub last year.
Subhendu had fought Seth unsuccessfully in the 2004 Lok Sabha election.
Subhendu grabbed the national spotlight after spearheading the anti-establishment protests by the villagers during the Nandigram movement.
“Both of us are tested leaders. Nobody can say that Subhendu has got the ticket for being my son. He has come up through the ranks after being successful in the cooperative and student movements. I am also in politics for six decades and have worked at all levels,” Sisir told IANS.
“We come from a family of freedom fighters. Our home was burnt thrice by the British between 1929 and 1943. Politics is in our blood,” he said.
Subhendu did not find anything new in contesting the elections alongside his father.
“We were both Congress candidates in the Contai Municipality in 1995 and 2000. We had also fought the 2001 and 2006 Assembly polls from neighbouring seats. We got nominated and renominated on the strength of our political work,” he said.
- Father-son, maternal uncle-niece in Lok Sabha from Bengal - May 16, 2009
- Congress, Trinamool seal pact, Mamata announces 27 candidates (Lead) - Mar 12, 2009
- West Bengal too votes for kith and kin of politicians - Nov 11, 2009
- Second generation politicians contest Bengal polls - May 04, 2011
- Nandigram longs for peace after Lok Sabha polls - May 24, 2009
- CPI-M's Salim, Trinamool's Sougata, Satabdi, Tapas file nominations - Apr 17, 2009
- Poll panel verifies list of homeless after violence - Feb 13, 2011
- CPI-M's former MP Laxman Seth gets bail - Jul 13, 2012
- Former CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case - Mar 17, 2012
- Prohibitory order in Bengal court premises - Mar 20, 2012
- CPI-M candidates for Tamil Nadu assembly poll announced - Mar 22, 2011
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Trinamool passes popularity test, with twin failures (West Bengal newsletter) - Jun 09, 2012
- Ex CPI-M MP arrested in Nandigram case flown to Kolkata - Mar 18, 2012
- Left routed in West Bengal (Lead) - Nov 10, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,