Fatah slams Hamas call to form new Palestinian leadershipJanuary 31st, 2009 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, Jan 31 (Xinhua) The Fatah movement of President Mahmoud Abbas slammed Saturday its arch-rival Islamic Hamas movement for seeking to form a new leadership for the Palestinians.”Hamas calls for new leadership aimed at replacing the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) the sole and legitimate representative of the Palestinian people all over the world,” a Fatah statement sent to reporters said.
In a speech in Qatar last week, Hamas’ exiled leader Khalid Meshaal advocated a new umbrella body to represent the Palestinians in Gaza, the West Bank and in the Diaspora.
Fatah, which warned of Meshaal’s calls “to form a new political reference for the Palestinian people”, called on all PLO powers and factions “to get back to the national accordance document agreed upon by all factions including Hamas”.
Leaders of political factions, including Hamas and Islamic Jihad agreed upon “the document of national accordance” which called for renovating the PLO.
Claiming victory in a 22-day war with Israel, in which around 1,400 Palestinians and 13 Israelis were killed, Hamas reasserted it controlled the Gaza Strip and resumed its political challenge to moderate Abbas.
On Friday, several thousands of Hamas supporters rallied in Gaza in support for Meshaal’s call to abolish the PLO. Meshaal’s proposal was echoed in similar statements to cheering crowds by a senior Hamas leader Khalil Al Hayya.
In the first public appearance by a prominent Gaza Hamas leader since Israeli attacks on Dec 27, Al Hayya said the PLO was “dead” and sent to the “morgue” by those who founded it.
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation talks in 'final stages': Hamas - Jan 04, 2010
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Four Israelis killed in West Bank attack (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: fatah, fatah movement, first public appearance, gaza strip, hamas, hamas leader, hamas leaders, hamas movement, hayya, islamic jihad, israeli attacks, mahmoud abbas, palestine liberation organisation, palestinian leadership, plo, political challenge, political factions, president mahmoud abbas, umbrella body, xinhua