Fatah, Hamas fail to reconcileJuly 1st, 2009 - 5:05 am ICT by IANS
Gaza/Cairo, July 1 (DPA) Leaders of rival Fatah and Islamic Hamas movement failed to overcome their disputes and reach an agreement by a July 7 deadline set by Cairo, and have agreed to hold a seventh round of dialogue in Cairo July 25, officials said Tuesday.
Fatah negotiator Zakareya el-Agha told the Palestinian news agency Wafa of President Mahmoud Abbas that a sixth round of inter-reconciliation dialogue had ended without agreement.
Senior Fatah leader Nabil Shaath had also confirmed in press statements that the two groups had decided to end their sixth round of dialogue and meet again in Cairo July 25.
Wafa quoted the two Fatah leaders as saying the next round of dialogue was agreed to be held in Cairo July 27.
“Then a comprehensive meeting with the participation of all factions’ chiefs or their representatives will be held to sign the reconciliation agreement July 28,” said Shaath and al-Agha.
Shaath revealed that Egypt decided to offer the Palestinian dialogue another chance in order to reach its goals, adding: “Therefore Egypt decided to sponsor a seventh round of dialogue July 25 and will end July 28.”
He stressed that the sixth round of dialogue had been “positive and encouraging”, although “we were unable to reach what we wanted.”
- Palestinian's national unity government likely in ten days: official - May 28, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas accepts Egypt's proposed inter-Palestinian reconciliation - Oct 17, 2009
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- UAE hails Palestinian reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Clinton, Morsi discuss US-Egypt relations - Jul 15, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Egypt postpones Hamas-Fatah reconciliation talks - Nov 08, 2008
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: al agha, cairo, chiefs, dialogue, dpa, factions, fatah, fatah leader, gaza, hamas, hamas movement, july 1, mahmoud abbas, nabil shaath, negotiator, palestinian news agency, president mahmoud abbas, press statements, reconciliation agreement, wafa