Farmer’s suicides: BJP calls government a ‘murderer’May 2nd, 2012 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) A Bharatiya Janata Party MP Wednesday accused the UPA government of being a “murderer” a day after five farmers committed suicide in Vidarbha in Maharashtra.
Raising the issue in the Rajya Sabha, BJP leader Prakash Javadekar blamed the government for being insensitive and responsible for their deaths.
“It is not suicide but murder; the murderer is the UPA government,” Javadekar said during zero hour.
“Their policies are anti-farmer,” he said.
Javadekar also accused Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi of playing political gimmicks by visiting farmers while doing nothing in reality.
“The Congres general secretary went there and met Kalawati whose husband had committed suicide. Not only did she have to struggle to get the help she was promised, two more members from her family committed suicide,” he said.
“The prime minister announced a package, but the money did not reach the farmers,” he said.
According to statistics released by farmer advocacy group Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS), five farmers, including a woman, committed suicide in the Vidarbha region since Tuesday. Three of the farmers were from Yavatmal district and one each from Washim and Amravati districts.
VJAS says these five farmers - like thousands of others - were waiting for the relief money declared by the Maharashtra chief minister in December 2011.
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Six more Vidarbha farmers commit suicides, says NGO - Jul 01, 2012
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir continues in Maharashtra - Nov 17, 2011
- Kalavati, who moved Rahul Gandhi, to contest Maharashtra polls (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009
- Vidarbha farmers object to Oscar entry for 'Peepli' - Sep 27, 2010
- 25 Vidarbha farmers committed suicide in a week: activist - Mar 29, 2010
- Parliamentary panel meets Vidarbha farmers - Mar 02, 2012
- Vidharba woman who inspired Rahul Gandhi gives BJP the slip - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: advocacy group, amravati, andolan, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congres, deaths, farmers, general secretary, gimmicks, maharashtra chief minister, murderer, New Delhi, prakash, prime minister, rahul gandhi, rajya sabha, relief money, suicides, vidarbha region