Farmers protest as Yamuna Expressway opensAugust 9th, 2012 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Aug 9 (IANS) Angry farmers with black flags demonstrated in Agra to protest the opening of the 165-km Yamuna Expressway without the Uttar Pradesh government fulfilling their demands, which include returning their land now used for constructing a new township.
The expressway connecting Greater Noida with Agra was inaugurated Thursday by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav by way of a video conference from Lucknow.
The protest took place at Etmadmpur tehsil near here where Jaypee Infratech, the developers of the expressway project reportedly acquired land for its Wish Town project.
Manoj Sharma, convener of the Kisan Sangharsh Samiti, told IANS that “more than 350 farmers, whose land had been acquired for the township, staged a protest dharna and we demonstrated and ran through the Expressway with black flags”.
The farmers said their demand for return of the land had not been met as yet, though the Allahabad High Court had referred the matter to the state government, which was given three months time.
The farmers Thursday afternoon began ploughing their fields with tractors. “We are ploughing on land said to have been acquired by the Jaypee group for its Wish Town project,” Manoj Sharma told IANS.
A group of farmers in Mathura district said the promise to construct service roads had not been kept. The farmers are demanding cuts at two places and sub-ways.
In Agra the district authorities have begun clearing up the road from the Kuberpur intersection to the Water Works crossing and via the Yamuna Kinara road to the Taj Mahal area.
“Its not an easy task as there are so many encroachments, the road is narrow, the transport companies have not been shifted,” said activist Shravan Kumar Singh.
- Angry farmers take on police at Expressway - Sep 13, 2012
- Villagers demand toll tax waiver at Yamuna Expressway - Aug 16, 2012
- Agra farmers write petition in blood - Sep 01, 2010
- Delhi-Agra run cut by half as Yamuna Expressway opens (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway awaits Akhilesh nod (With Image) - Mar 21, 2012
- Agra-Lucknow Expressway to be eco-friendly - Apr 04, 2012
- Agra incident-free, farmers continue stir (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Agra incident-free, farmers refuse to relent - Aug 18, 2010
- Governor stays away from Agra - Aug 29, 2010
- Farmers' stage protests, burn vehicles in Agra - Aug 25, 2010
- Jaypee's expressway to Taj cuts run from Delhi to 150 minutes (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Sombre I-Day for Agra, Mathura, Aligarh farmers - Aug 15, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh farmers refuse to relent, crisis continues (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2010
- Farmers' stir: More forces deployed in Agra - May 09, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh farmers call shutdown Aug 25 - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: agra, akhilesh yadav, allahabad high court, angry farmers, black flags, chief minister, convener, district authorities, expressway project, greater noida, jaypee group, kisan, sangharsh, service roads, taj mahal, tehsil, thursday afternoon, transport companies, uttar pradesh government, video conference