Fake ration card in Sonia Gandhi’s nameJanuary 11th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Thane (Maharashtra), Jan 11 (IANS) A fake ration card issued in the name of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, enlisting names of her two children as Rahul and Priyanka, was found in Maharashtra’s Thane district, said a right to information activist Wednesday.
The card was issued in August last year by Thane ration authority. The family’s annual income in it was shown as Rs.30,000 and it bore Gandhi’s New Delhi address, activist Praveen Pandey told IANS.
The card was found in a parking lot of the Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation, around 60 km northeast of Mumbai.
“My friend Premchand Jha and I had some work at the UMC Saturday and while we were parking our vehicle, we found a ration card lying in the parking lot. We thought someone must have lost it. But we were shocked to see that it was issued in the names of Sonia Gandhi and her children Rahul and Priyanka. It even bore the New Delhi address,” he said.
Pandey said that with municipal polls round the corner in several parts of the state, such bogus ration cards may be used for illegal voting.
He said that their NGO, Ulhasnagar Bachao Abhiyan, had written to the election commission and requested that the ration card be disqualified on the basis of the Delhi address.
“The signature of the issuing authority read as Mr. Kambale, but when we checked at the ration office, there was no officer with that surname. Hence we are convinced that the ration card is most definitely a fake and was made with a purpose to get a voter’s identity card,” Pandey said.
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP on top in Thane - Feb 17, 2012
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi launch UID project in Maharashtra village - Sep 29, 2010
- Count all civic polls votes same day: Maharashtra opposition - Jan 03, 2012
- Four children, two women die in building collapse - Apr 19, 2011
- BJP flays Congress over Gurgaon land deal - Aug 02, 2011
- Gandhi family, Rahul photos fly off shelves at plenary - Dec 20, 2010
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- Lyricist Gulzar's name missing from electoral rolls! - Feb 16, 2012
- Minister makes surprise visit to office - Jul 04, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi may be Congress working president soon - Nov 05, 2011
- On eve of Rahul Gandhi visit, Congress hits back at Shiv Sena - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: abhiyan, activist, congress president sonia gandhi, election commission, issuing authority, jha, maharashtra, New Delhi, ngo, parking lot, polls, priyanka, rahul, ration card, ration cards, signature, surname, thane district, umc