Facts about FranceApril 22nd, 2012 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, April 22 (IANS) Here are key facts on France, where voting in the first round of the 2012 French presidential election took place Sunday.
Located in western Europe, France shares its borders with Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Spain and Andorra. It is also linked to Britain by the Channel Tunnel which passes underneath the English Channel.
With a total area of 632,834 sq km, France is the third largest country in Europe behind Russia and Ukraine. Its population reached 65.8 million as of January 2011, reported Xinhua.
France is one of the most developed countries with the fifth largest economy in the world. In 2011, its GDP reached $2.808 trillion, with an annual growth rate of 1.8 percent.
France enjoys a leading position in sectors such as nuclear power, aerospace, and railway. According to the latest data, in 2010, France’s export totaled $508.7 billion dollars, and its imports stood at $577.7 billion.
France is also a leading agricultural producer and exporter in Europe. Wheat, poultry, dairy, beef and pork, as well as internationally recognized foodstuff and wine are primary French agricultural exports.
With a long history and abundant cultural and natural heritage, France is one of the most visited country in the world, receiving around 82 million foreign tourists annually.
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sarkozy calls for Schengen reform - Mar 12, 2012
- India's exports may falter due to global economic turmoil: FICCI - Aug 07, 2011
- Monaco coach drops former French striker Giuly - Jun 29, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki's Q1 net profit declines 20.23 percent - Jul 24, 2010
- China plans to export more to developing nations - Dec 07, 2011
- Monaco promotes itself as destination for upper middle-class India - Nov 24, 2010
- India to focus on expanding ties with France: Mukherjee - Feb 19, 2011
- Omar gives nod to loans schemes for youth entrepreneurs - Feb 01, 2012
- France world's fourth largest arms exporter - Oct 27, 2011
- French PM re-elected in parliamentary elections - Jun 11, 2012
- Dubai exported products worth $800 mn in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Krishna to seek further ties with Spain - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,