Extortion charge against him to defame NCP, says Goa ministerSeptember 18th, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 18 (IANS) Goa Tourism Minister and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco Friday said vested political interests were gunning for him, especially in view of the forthcoming Maharashtra assembly elections.
Pacheco has been booked by the Crime Branch of the state police on charges of threatening and extorting money from an onshore casino management to the tune of Rs.360,000.
Speaking to reporters here, he said: “Some people wanted to defame the NCP in the run-up to the assembly elections in Maharashtra.”
“Some people want to put me behind bars. They want to defame the NCP all over Maharashtra with the help of such trumped up charges,” he said. And added: “This is exactly what the Congress culture is like. They can defame anyone by stooping to any level.”
The Goa government comprises a constantly bickering coalition of the Congress, the NCP, the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party, an unattached legislator from the United Goans Democratic party (UGDP) and an Independent legislator.
Pacheco has been named with eleven others for allegedly threatening the staff of Treasures casino at the Majorda Beach Resort, a five star facility in South Goa in a first information report (FIR) filed by the hotel staff. The extortion occurred in June this year.
Pacheco already faces two complaints of assaulting government servants, including a police constable, and bigamy filed by his wife Sara Pacheco.
- Goa minister gets bail in extortion case (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009
- NCP accuses Goa Congress of maligning party image - Sep 20, 2009
- Pacheco seeks anticipatory bail; cabinet replacement likely - Jun 08, 2010
- Chavan had to go, how can Pacheco come, ask Goa Congress dissidents - Dec 23, 2010
- Goa gets new minister, Mickky key suspect in death - Jun 08, 2010
- Goa legislator gets one year jail - Apr 27, 2011
- Two NCP ministers quit Congress-led Goa government - Mar 14, 2011
- Congress playing big brother in Goa: NCP - Sep 27, 2009
- Goa minister booked for extorting money from casino - Sep 18, 2009
- Goa tourism minister gets interim bail in casino extortion case - Sep 19, 2009
- Goa home minister involved in drug trade: NCP - Jan 17, 2011
- Congress rejects Pawar's demand for berth to Pacheco - Dec 27, 2010
- Goa NCP-Congress bury differences after midnight meeting - Mar 22, 2010
- Ministers threaten to topple Goa government, Kamat unfazed (Lead) - Mar 19, 2010
- 10 Congress dissidents threaten to topple Goa government - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: bigamy, casino management, crime branch, extortion charge, goa government, goa tourism, goans, government servants, maharashtra assembly elections, maharashtrawadi gomantak party, majorda beach resort, nationalist congress party, ncp, panaji, police constable, political interests, south goa, star facility, tourism minister, wife sara