Expelled National Conference leader joins CongressMarch 29th, 2009 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 29 (IANS) A former National Conference leader who was expelled from the party for alleged indiscipline Sunday joined the Congress in Jammu and Kashmir. The two parties jointly rule the state.
Shamsher Singh, who represented the National Conference in the Jammu Municipal Corporation, was admitted to the Congress by union Water Resources Minister Saifuddin Soz.
Soz is the state Congress president, who played a pivotal role in forming the National Conference-Congress alliance after the November-December assembly elections last year.
The National Conference had expelled Singh for his alleged anti-party activities.
Singh gained prominence after he joined the Amarnath land agitation last year. He mobilised people in Jammu during the two-month long protests that almost divided the state on communal basis.
He had unsuccessfully contested the recent assembly elections from Jammu-West.
Soz said with Singh joining the party, the Congress would gain a lot of strength ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta - Jun 01, 2011
- Poll victory shows alliance unity: Omar - Apr 13, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- 'Cancel assembly memberships of expelled BJP legislators' - Feb 19, 2012
- Kashmir Congress infighting reaches new high (Kashmir Newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Congress, NC may part ways for municipal polls - Sep 15, 2011
- Kashmir coordination panel meets - Dec 16, 2010
- Congress factions may reconcile in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 16, 2011
- Congress steps up campaign for rotational chief minister - Dec 25, 2011
- CPI-M expels former party MP for indiscipline - Jun 11, 2012
- Congress to strengthen base in Jammu and Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Farooq angry over talk of chief minister's rotation - Dec 27, 2011
- My word on rotation of chief minister final: Soz - Dec 25, 2011
- Kashmir Congress chief meets governor - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: agitation, assembly elections, communal basis, conference leader, congress alliance, congress president, indiscipline, jammu, kashmir, lok sabha polls, pivotal role, prominence, protests, saifuddin, soz, state congress, water resources