Expelled groups responsible for Darfur’s half of relief works: UNMarch 10th, 2009 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
New York, March 10 (DPA) The 13 relief organisations expelled by the Sudanese government last week provided 50 percent of humanitarian assistance to civilians in need in Sudan’s Darfur region, the top UN humanitarian coordinator said Monday.
John Holmes, the UN undersecretary general for emergency relief coordinator, said at UN headquarters in New York that neither Khartoum nor the UN or other non-governmental organisations can sufficiently provide assistance alone.
He said all sides have to work together to meet the needs of an estimated 4.7 million Darfurians following years of warfare.
Khartoum last week cancelled work permits and expelled 13 foreign relief groups after the International Criminal Court at The Hague issued an international arrest warrant Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, who it charged with crimes against humanity and war crimes. Khartoum retaliated by clamping down on Darfur.
“That is why the (humanitarian) challenge is so daunting if the decision of the government of Sudan is not reversed,” Holmes said. He said the groups expelled accounted for about half of humanitarian capacity in Darfur.
“We do not, the NGOs do not and the Sudanese government does not have the capacity to replace all the activities that have been going on, certainly not on any short- or medium-term basis,” he said.
The UN said Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has been trying to convince the Sudanese government to rescind the revocation of relief groups’ work permits so they can resume their humanitarian assistance. The groups expelled included Oxfam, CARE and the French group Doctors Without Borders.
Representatives of the UN and relief groups had been facing harassment at the hands of Sudanese security forces while the ICC considered arresting al-Bashir, who denied all responsibility in the killing in Darfur. The UN said more than 300,000 people have died in Darfur’s ethnic conflict since 2003.
Holmes said at a press conference that equipment, cars, computers and belongings of expelled NGOs had been confiscated as they prepared to leave Sudan last week. He said Sudanese security forces have also seized warehouses of the World Food Programme at a time when water and food has become more scarce in Darfur.
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- Sudan's president warns protesters of 'incinerating summer' - Jul 12, 2012
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Sudan's President Bashir transferred '$9bn in UK banks': Wikileaks - Dec 18, 2010
- Sudan signs ceasefire deal with rebel group - Feb 24, 2010
- US to increase pressure on Sudan to resolve conflicts - Oct 19, 2009
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- Thousands rally in support of Sudan president - Mar 05, 2009
- Over 7,600 aid workers receive expulsion orders from Sudan - Mar 11, 2009
- Russians kidnapped in Darfur as American released: UN - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: ban ki moon, crimes against humanity, doctors without borders, emergency relief coordinator, ethnic conflict, french group, government of sudan, groups work, humanitarian challenge, humanitarian coordinator, international arrest warrant, international criminal court, non governmental organisations, omar al bashir, relief groups, relief organisations, sudanese government, sudanese president, war crimes, work permits