Expelled BJP MP to contest poll as independentMarch 17th, 2009 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 17 (IANS) Tarachand Sahu, a four-time Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP from Chhattisgarh who was expelled from the party in January, Tuesday announced that he would contest the forthcoming parliamentary polls as an independent candidate, from his home turf Durg.
Sahu, who was ousted from the BJP Jan 6 for his alleged anti-party activities during the November state assembly polls, said he would work hard and ensure that Saroj Pandey, BJP’s candidate from Durg, was defeated in the April 16 polls.
“I will not join any party in the state though I have offers from several outfits. I will work for the people of the state and will ensure the BJP suffers a defeat in the state,” Sahu told reporters at Durg, 40 km from here.
Sahu is a prominent face of the Other Backward Class (OBC) that comprises about 50 percent of the state’s 20.08 million people.
He claims he is fighting for the indigenous people of the state and said he would step up his fight against “outsiders”, mainly in the BJP ranks, who he alleges are enjoying strong positions in the government at the cost of the people of Chhattisgarh.
- Former BJP MP to contest Chhattisgarh by-poll as Independent - Oct 21, 2009
- Former BJP MP pulls out of Chhattisgarh by-poll - Oct 24, 2009
- Factionalism widens in Chhattisgarh Congress after bypoll loss - Feb 19, 2011
- Polling underway for Chhattisgarh assembly seat - Feb 14, 2011
- Toss-up between Congress, BJP in Chhattisgarh - Nov 04, 2009
- BJP faces tough fight in Chhattisgarh by-poll - Feb 05, 2011
- 30 percent polling in Chhattisgarh by-election (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Congress tries to rope in sacked BJP MP - Jan 08, 2009
- 65-70 percent turnout in Chhattisgarh by-poll (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- BJP finds it tough choosing Chhattisgarh by-poll candidate - Jan 17, 2011
- BJP leaders have lost mental balance, says sacked Chhattisgarh MP (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
- BJP defeats Congress in Chhattisgarh by-poll (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- BJP retains Chhattisgarh assembly seat, Congress admits setback (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP sacks a party MP, suspends another - Jan 07, 2009
- Congress, BJP battle it out for lone Chhattisgarh seat - Nov 06, 2009