Expecting announcement on Telangana in two weeks: TRSJuly 14th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 14 (IANS) Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Thursday said that the central government will make an announcement on carving out a separate Telangana state from Andhra Pradesh in two weeks.
“As per the indications I received from Delhi, the centre will make an announcement in two weeks,” he said, addressing Congress leaders from Telangana sitting on hunger strike here.
Hailing the 48-hour fast of Congress leaders, KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said it would go down as an important event in history.
The TRS chief said by submitting their resignations, 141 public representatives from the region have sent a clear message to the centre that they would not settle for anything less than a separate state. He claimed that the move also demonstrated the unity among leaders from the region.
KCR said the people of the Telangana region wanted self-respect and self-rule and were no longer ready to suffer discrimination.
“At the time of Telangana’s merger with Andhra state, the then prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru had said that Telangana can separate whenever it wants. How long we will be cheated?” said KCR, who is the MP from Mahabubnagar.
KCR said Congress leaders from Telangana never went against the party chief and alleged that it was leaders from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of the state who defied the party head by not accepting the centre’s statement of Dec 9, 2009.
Following KCR’s 11-day fast in 2009, the centre announced that the process for formation of separate Telangana state will be initiated.
- TRS chief expects Telangana issue resolution this month - Sep 05, 2012
- TRS warns PM on Telangana - Jun 29, 2011
- KCR planning another fast for Telangana - Sep 20, 2011
- KCR threatens defamation case against TDP leaders - Oct 28, 2011
- TRS offers to share Hyderabad as capital for few years - Sep 29, 2011
- Nothing less than Telangana acceptable, say TRS, TDP (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Telangana demand picks up momentum again - Sep 05, 2012
- Don't test our patience over Telangana, TRS chief warns (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Telangana will become fireball, warns TRS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- Crisis in Andhra as Telangana MPs, MLAs quit enmasse (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- TDP leader dares TRS chief to die for Telangana - Dec 24, 2011
- Telangana party plans to stall parliament - Nov 21, 2011
- Three legislators quit Congress, join TRS - Oct 30, 2011
- Movement for Telangana gathers momentum; cabinet meets (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- TRS slams Chidambaram's statement on Telangana - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: central government, congress leaders, discrimination, hunger strike, hyderabad, important event, jawaharlal nehru, july 14, kcr, merger, mp, party chief, prime minister jawaharlal, public representatives, rao, resignations, self respect, self rule, telangana, trs