Ex-Romanian PM tries to commit suicideJune 21st, 2012 - 8:13 am ICT by IANS
Bucharest, June 21 (IANS) Former Romanian prime minister Adrian Nastase tried to commit suicide, hours after he was sentenced by the country’s top court to serve two years in prison for illegal fundraising.
He was not in a life-threatening condition, Xinhua reported.
Nastase shot himself in the neck, and was sent to Floreasca Emergency Hospital.
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta has rushed to the hospital to see Nastase who is waiting for surgery.
Nastase, 62, was found to have abused “the influence or authority of the office of a party chairman to organise a symposium in order to raise money for the presidential election campaign he was to embark on.”
The participation fees for the symposium, amounting to more than 1.6 million euro (about $2 million), were transferred to a company that provided various services during the presidential campaign of the social-democratic leader.
In January 2012, the Romanian high court had sentenced Nastase to two years in prison, but the latter challenged the sentence by appeal, arguing that the trial was politically motivated.
The top court’s verdict Wednesday, however, is final. Nastase has 24 hours before being taken into custody. The former prime minister said earlier that he would appeal against the verdict at the European Court of Human Rights.
Nastase served as Romanian prime minister from 2000 to 2004 and headed the Social Democracy Party from 2000 to 2005.
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader acquitted in sodomy case - Jan 09, 2012
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Chauncey Hardy dies at the age of 23 years - Oct 10, 2011
- Pussy Riot appeals verdict - Aug 28, 2012
- Romanian prime minister resigns - Feb 06, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Court reduces Russian tycoon's prison term by one year - May 25, 2011
- Kyrgyz acting PM resigns - Sep 01, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Russian convicted of leaking military secrets - May 18, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner may be released - Jul 27, 2011
- Former Russian oil tycoon convicted for fraud (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: 6 million, adrian nastase, bucharest, democracy party, democratic leader, emergency hospital, european court of human rights, former prime minister, illegal fundraising, june 21, participation fees, party chairman, presidential campaign, presidential election campaign, romanian prime minister, social democracy, suicide, symposium, victor ponta, xinhua