Ex-minister fires another salvo against Andhra CMMay 11th, 2012 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 11 (IANS) Denied permission to address the media at the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) office, former Andhra Pradesh minister P. Shankar Rao Friday lodged a police complaint against Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy for violating provisions of the the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
The senior legislator, who has been publicly attacking the chief minister, termed him anti-Dalit. Shankar Rao, who is the member of assembly from Secunderabad Cantonment constituency, alleged that he was being deprived of his rights as a legislator.
He also submitted a breach of privilege notice and a complaint under the SC/ST Act to the assembly speaker, and threatened to launch a protest if no action was taken on his complaint in 24 hours.
Shankar Rao said he would also approach the state human rights commission.
For the second consecutive day, Shankar Rao visited the CLP office in the assembly premises but found the press room locked. The office staff told him that he had not taken a permission from the CLP secretary to hold a press conference there.
Embarrassed over the criticism of the chief minister by Shankar Rao and Health Minister D.L. Ravindra Reddy, the CLP has banned the duo from using the party office to address the media.
“This is illegal confinement. Locking somebody in his house or not allowing him to enter the house both come under illegal confinement,” the legislator said.
Shankar Rao, who was dropped from the cabinet in February this year, has already filed a case against the chief minister in the Andhra Pradesh High Court, alleging that he is involved in illegal exports of red sander.
- Andhra Congress legislator speaks against party leaders - May 10, 2012
- Turmoil in Andhra Congress, minister quits over poll defeat (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Congress leader seeks CBI probe against Andhra chief minister - Mar 22, 2012
- Congress, TDP want to see Jagan behind bars - Jan 03, 2012
- 39-member Andhra Pradesh Cabinet sworn-in - Dec 01, 2010
- Karnataka MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail scam - Aug 06, 2012
- Karnataka BJP MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail deal (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Congress, TDP hail court order on Jagan's wealth - Jul 12, 2011
- YSR's brother among 39 Andhra ministers sworn in (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Andhra minister complains against two 'tainted' colleagues - Sep 29, 2011
- YSR's brother among 39 Andhra ministers sworn in - Dec 01, 2010
- Not in race for chief minister's post, says Jaipal Reddy - Nov 24, 2010
- CBI charge sheets Jagan, 12 others in illegal assets case (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Kiran Reddy inducts two ministers, drops one (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Two Congress lawmakers in Andhra quit, side with Jagan - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh high court, assembly speaker, atrocities, cantonment, castes, chief minister, clp, congress legislature party, constituency, health minister, human rights commission, illegal confinement, illegal exports, kiran kumar, legislator, office staff, police complaint, rao, ravindra, shankar