Ex-Libyan prime minister jailed in TunisiaSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
Tunis, Sep 23 (IANS) Former Libyan prime minister Baghdadi al-Mahmudi was sentenced to six months in prison Thursday by a Tunisian court, Xinhua reported Friday.
Al-Mahmudi was arrested along with his two aides Wednesday evening near Tunisia’s southern oasis city of Tozeur, some 450 km from the capital Tunis.
Tunisian authorities charged Al-Mahmudi with crossing the southern border illegally, the official TAP news agency reported.
He was residing in Tunisia since Aug 28, said a security official.
Meanwhile, a Tunis court confirmed the release of Khouildi Hmidi, a close aide of the deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi after he was charged of entering the country illegally, TAP added.
He was arrested at the Tunis Carthage international airport Sep 7 while attempting to leave Tunisia.
- Tunisia extradites ex-Libyan prime minister - Jun 25, 2012
- Order will be restored in Libya, says Tunisia - Oct 22, 2011
- Gaddafi plans to blow up Tripoli if captured - Jul 14, 2011
- Tunisia to extradite former Libyan PM - May 23, 2012
- Gaddafi ready to accept ceasefire plan: Zuma - May 31, 2011
- Gaddafi's family not in Tunisia: Official - Aug 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's spy chief held in Mauritania - Mar 18, 2012
- Fugitive Libyan ex-spy chief extradited from Mauritania - Sep 06, 2012
- Tunisia and Italy agree to curb illegal immigration - Apr 07, 2011
- Gaddafi's $25 mn Italian hotel complex seized - May 17, 2012
- Russia sends aid for Libyan refugees - Mar 06, 2011
- Gaddafi's youngest son Khamis still alive? - Nov 22, 2011
- Libya releases Tunisian journalist - Apr 05, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Tunisia ready to grant asylum to Syrian president - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: aides, libyan leader muammar, mahmudi, muammar gaddafi, news agency, oasis city, prime minister, security official, six months, southern border, tap, tunis, tunisia, tunisian authorities, wednesday evening, xinhua