Ex-Karnataka minister’s judicial custody extendedOctober 26th, 2011 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 26 (IANS) A court here Wednesday extended till Nov 26 the judicial custody of former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) minister Katta Subramanya Naidu and his son Katta Jagadish in a corruption case.
While Jagadish, a BJP Bangalore corporator, is in jail here, his father is undergoing treatment for cancer at Mumbai’s Lilavati hospital.
Along with the father-son duo, the jail stay of S.V. Srinivas, managing director of Itasca Software company, was also extended till Nov 26.
Naidu and Jagadish are charged with taking a bribe of Rs.85 crore for illegally allotting 385 acres of land near Bangalore to Itasca software company.
The allotment took place when Naidu was Karnataka’s industries minister in the Janata Dal-Secular-BJP coalition government in 2006-07.
Naidu resigned last year as IT minister after the case was filed against him, his son, the software company honcho and six others. Of the six other accused, four are on bail while two are absconding.
Special Lokayukta (ombudsman) Court Judge N.K. Sundhindra Rao extended the judicial custody of Naidu, Jagdish and Srinivas as it ended Wednesday. Rao, an additional sessions judge, functions as Lokayukta judge for speedy disposal of corruption cases.
Naidu was sent to jail Aug 8. He stayed there only for a few days as he is suffering from cancer and was shifted to the government Victoria Hospital here for treatment.
The Lokayukta court earlier rejected Naidu’s plea for bail and permission to go abroad for treatment.
He was allowed to undergo treatment in any government or private hospital in the country at his own cost.
- No bail for former BJP minister in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2011
- Karnataka's ex-minister, son jailed in graft case - Aug 08, 2011
- Former Karnataka minister charge sheeted in land scam - Jul 09, 2011
- Former BJP minister to be prosecuted in land scam - Jul 06, 2011
- Summons for Yeddyurappa in graft case, jail for ex-minister (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Court rejects ex-Karnataka minister's bail plea - Oct 17, 2011
- Karnataka summons to two ex-CMs, jail for ex-minister - Aug 08, 2011
- Karnataka gets cabinet; ex-minister jailed, Yeddyurappa, Kumaraswamy summoned (Night Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Yeddyurappa jailed till Oct 22 in corruption cases - Oct 16, 2011
- IT minister resigns, land scam hits Yeddyurappa hard (Second Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Ombudsman to act on governor's sanction against Yeddyurappa - Aug 09, 2011
- Karnataka IT minister resigns over land scam (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Court extends Yeddyurappa's jail stay till Nov 3 - Oct 22, 2011
- BJP Karnataka lawmaker jailed, trial court cancels bail - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, coalition government, corruption case, corruption cases, honcho, industries minister, jagadish, jagdish, judicial custody, karnataka minister, katta, lilavati hospital, lokayukta, naidu, private hospital, speedy disposal, srinivas, subramanya, victoria hospital