Ex-flight attendant kills self, blames Haryana minister (Lead)August 5th, 2012 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) A 23-year-old former flight attendant killed herself Sunday and in her suicide note blamed her former employer and Haryana Minister of State for Home Gopal Kanda for taking the extreme step, police said.
The body of Geetika Sharma, 23, was found hanging in her Ashok Vihar house in north Delhi Sunday morning. She earlier worked in Kanda’s now-defunct MDLR Airlines.
Union Women and Child Welfare Minister Krishna Tirath hinted at a National Commission for Women probe into the matter and Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda assured “appropriate action”.
In her suicide note, the victim blamed Kanda for breaking her trust, police said, adding that a case of abetment to suicide had been registered against him.
Tirath told reporters: “We will send this case to the National Commission for Women for investigation. I will write a letter to the chief minister of Haryana.”
Hooda earlier in the day said that “appropriate action” would be taken in the case.
Kanda owned the now defunct MDLR Airlines where Sharma worked as a flight attendant. After the airline ceased to function in 2009, Sharma was given a job in another company owned by Kanda.
According to the victim’s brother, Gaurav Sharma, his sister was being constantly harassed by Kanda and his colleague Aruna Chadha, both mentally and psychologically.
“My sister quit her job and decided to work with Emirates and had gone for training in Dubai but Kanda wrote to them accusing my sister of having a bad character which led to her termination,” he told reporters.
She was being asked by Kanda to join his company again, added Sharma.
–Indo-Asian News service
- NCW to probe ex-flight attendant's suicide - Aug 05, 2012
- Haryana minister Gopal Kanda booked for abetting suicide, resigns (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Kanda surrenders - Aug 18, 2012
- Former Haryana minister Kanda surrenders, arrested (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Court denies Kanda shield against arrest (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Court denies Kanda shield against arrest (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Kanda's kin detained - Aug 11, 2012
- Hooda washes his hands of Kanda - Aug 10, 2012
- Kanda may move high court for anticipatory bail - Aug 10, 2012
- Haryana not protecting Kanda: Hooda - Aug 16, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda - Aug 16, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Police arrest Chaddha, Kanda absconding - Aug 08, 2012
- Police scan Kanda's 400 SMS to Geetika - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: ashok, asian news, bad character, chadha, chief minister, extreme step, flight attendant, gaurav sharma, haryana minister, hooda, indo, kanda, krishna, minister of state, north delhi, rl, suicide note, union women, vm, women and child welfare