EU urges Greece to reaffirm reform commitmentNovember 8th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Nov 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Greece could receive a blocked bailout instalment, the sixth tranche worth 8 billion euros ($11 billion), if the nation’s incoming government reaffirms its commitment on EU-proposed austerity programme, said Olli Rehn, the EU economy commissioner.
“We will work with the new government only if it makes clear and written commitments,” Rehn told journalists Monday, adding that the tranche could be issued in November.
Greece’s two major political parties — the ruling center-left PASOK and center-right opposition New Democracy — have announced that early elections are scheduled for Feb 19, 2012. A coalition government will rule the country until the election. Prime Minister George Papandreou agreed to resign.
The sixth tranche was previously approved by the Eurogroup but frozen after Papandreou proposed holding a referendum on the new bailout package. A popular vote was likely to frustrate all agreements with creditors. He later had to give up the initiative.
Without loans from the EU and IMF, which have been frozen over political and economic uncertainty, Greece may default on its 360-billion-euro ($495-billion) debt in the coming weeks.
- Euro falters over Italy, Greece political uncertainty - Nov 09, 2011
- New government sworn in Greece - Nov 11, 2011
- Greek PM resigns; polls set for February - Nov 07, 2011
- Greek government survives trust vote - Jun 22, 2011
- Greece to receive new IMF aid in July: French PM - Jun 22, 2011
- New Greek government wins confidence vote - Nov 17, 2011
- New Democracy party leads in Greek polls - Jun 18, 2012
- IMF approves another bailout tranche for Greece - Dec 06, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- Greek PM wins crucial confidence vote (Second Lead) - Nov 05, 2011
- Europe should help Greece to avoid crisis: Greek PM - Oct 16, 2011
- Eurozone approves new Greek bailout plan (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Give Greece extra time: Austria - Aug 27, 2012
- Eurozone agrees to bail out Spanish banks - Jun 10, 2012
- EU to speed up bailout fund payments - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: austerity, bailout package, brussels, coalition government, creditors, dg, economic uncertainty, eurogroup, george papandreou, imf, incoming government, journalists, new democracy, pasok, political parties, popular vote, referendum, ria novosti, tranche, written commitments