EU calls to stop violence in Libya, urges restraintFebruary 21st, 2011 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Feb 21 (RIA Novosti) The European Union’s foreign policy chief has called on Libyan authorities to end violence in the country which has left up to 200 people dead.”We urge restraint,” Catherine Ashton said ahead of a meeting of EU foreign ministers, called to discuss the unrest in the Middle East and North Africa, adding: “It’s very important that the violence stops.”
The protests in Libya, one of the world’s major oil suppliers, started Feb 15 amid violent anti-government demonstrations across the Middle East. Riots are largely centered in the eastern cities of Benghazi, Bayda and Tobruk, but there are reports that unrest has been spreading to the west of the country.
On Saturday, several dozen people were killed in Benghazi when snipers reportedly opened fire at the crowd of mourners.
Ashton said the European Union supports pro-democracy reforms and plans to provide long-term financial assistance to the region.
The European Union’s foreign policy chief is expected to pay a visit to Egypt Monday to hold talks with the country’s authorities and opposition.
- International pressure builds on Gaddafi to quit - Mar 01, 2011
- EU concerned over violence in Bahrain - Feb 20, 2011
- Libyan unrest toll tops 100 after mourners shot dead (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Protesters gear up for massive rally in Libya (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Abducted Italian journalists kept hostage in Tripoli - Aug 25, 2011
- Al Qaeda backs Libya unrest amid genocide reports (Roundup) - Feb 24, 2011
- Fierce fighting keeps Libya on the edge (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Sent to crush protesters, Gaddafi's son joins them - Feb 25, 2011
- Al Qaeda steps in as Libyan unrest spreads (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Protests continue in Arab world, aircraft bomb Tripoli (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's regime illegitimate: GCC - Mar 11, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- EU to discuss Libya, Japan - Mar 21, 2011
- EU meets in Poland on Palestinian statehood - Sep 03, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,