Ethnic Indians among Malaysia’s title awardeesFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Feb 2 (IANS) M. Kayveas, who heads the Peoples Progressive Party (PPP), a constituent of the ruling coalition Barisan Nasional (BN), is among the ethnic Indians who are recipients of Malaysian honours. Already a Datuk (a title conferred by the government), he received the Seri Mahakota Wilayah (SMW) award that would carry the title of Datuk Seri.
Makkal Sakti Party (MSP) president Thanenthiran Ramankutty was another awardee. MSP has support among Malaysia’s over 1.5 million Tamils.
Sothinathan Asaipillai, federal territories education bureau secretary of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), the country’s largest Indian-based party and a key BN constituent, was conferred Datuk title Wednesday.
Among officials to be honoured were prime minister’s special officer Ravindren Chelliah and Economic Planning Unit deputy director-general Himmat Singh.
Outside of the government, outstanding ethnic Indians honoured were former national football player Santokh Singh and Prince Court Hospital specialist Kuljit Singh, New Straits Times reported.
Malaysia has 100,000 Sikhs.
Instead of Santokh Singh, The Star inadvertently named national football coach K. Rajagopal, another ethnic Indian as among those conferred the Datukship title.
Rajagopalan coached the Malaysian team that participated in several international games including the Commonwealth Games, New Delhi and Asian Games, Guangzhou last year.
“We sincerely apologise to him for any embarrassment caused,” The Star said.
- Malaysian-Indian hockey star conferred higher royal title - Apr 21, 2011
- Malaysian Indian-led party seeks to join ruling alliance - Jan 10, 2011
- Malaysian Indian party seeks to join ruling coalition - Sep 03, 2010
- Bollywood choreographer to start dance school in Malaysia - Aug 09, 2010
- Pressure on Malaysian Indian politicians to quit party posts - Jun 20, 2010
- Malay Indians Mt. Everest climbers get Datukships - Jul 10, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress to contest seats lost in 2008 poll - May 30, 2011
- Malaysians praise Manmohan Singh's multi-racialism view - Oct 29, 2010
- Malaysian Indians moving away from opposition alliance: Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Malaysian speaker bars sex video's screening in parliament - Apr 05, 2011
- Malaysian Indian politicos locked in court battle - Oct 14, 2009
- Malaysian Indian minister asked to resign by party - Nov 30, 2009
- Indian leads Malaysia to football glory - Jan 16, 2011
- Malaysian-Indian minister switches party - Aug 06, 2010
- Ruling alliance wins in Malaysian assembly poll - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,