Estonian president calls economist a ’smug’June 8th, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tallinn, June 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The president of Estonia has launched an attack on US Nobel laureate Paul Krugman.
The economist had written an article on Estonia in his blog on the New York Times website. Krugman questioned the country’s economic recovery from its deep financial crisis, declaring that the recovery is still incomplete.
Estonia’s president Toomas Hendrik Ilves used Twitter to launch a bitter attack on Krugman. In his tweet, Mr. Ilves claimed that the economist knows nothing about Estonia’s financial situation, labeling him as a patronizing smug. Ilves’ office has since confirmed an emailed statement that the comments were written by Ilves himself.
Stockholm-born Toomas Hendrik Ilves grew up in the US. Estonia joined the Eurozone in 2011.
The economy of this small country increased 4% in the first quarter of 2012. Ilves is the fourth president of Estonia’s short history. He is a former diplomat and journalist.
He has acted as the leader of the Social Democratic Party during the nineties. He later became a member of the European Parliament. He has been the president of his country since the 9th October 2006.
- Ilves to be sworn in as Estonia's president - Oct 10, 2011
- George Bush to get Estonian Order for expanding NATO - Feb 02, 2012
- Nobel laureate seeks reversal of US austerity measures - May 03, 2012
- Estonia to become 17th country in the Eurozone - Jul 14, 2010
- France loses 3A-rating from S&P; - Jan 14, 2012
- Jedward fans create chaos in Estonia - Oct 04, 2011
- Financial crisis subsides: Sarkozy - Jan 30, 2012
- `Sweden not bound to eurozone despite joining EU pact' - Feb 01, 2012
- 4.5 mn jobs at risk in eurozone in four years: UN - Jul 12, 2012
- Global economy in 2012 may be worse: IMF chief economist - Dec 22, 2011
- Grameen Bank challenges government ownership claim - Feb 02, 2011
- Chinese president reaffirms support to Europe in debt crisis - Aug 31, 2012
- US wants more steps to solve Eurozone crisis - Jun 05, 2012
- `Asia has ample room to fight eurozone turmoil spillovers' - Jan 31, 2012
- Merkel advises Greek referendum on euro membership - May 19, 2012
Tags: diplomat, economic recovery, economist, estonian president, european parliament, eurozone, financial crisis, financial situation, first quarter, fourth president, journalist, new york times, nineties, nobel laureate, paul krugman, president of estonia, social democratic party, tallinn, toomas hendrik ilves, tweet