Errors force Goa to recall Class 12 mark sheets, probe ordered (Lead)May 21st, 2011 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 21 (IANS) Over 12,000 Class 12 students have been left in a lurch after the Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (GBSHE) withdrew their mark sheets, claiming there were “errors in some cases”. A probe has been ordered.
The opposition Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) has demanded the resignation of GBSHE officials as well as Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate over the goof-up, which it claimed has put the future of students in a “quandary”.
“We are inquiring into the incident and no one would be spared. The education secretary will be heading the probe,” Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate told reporters here.
“There was a computer software error, because of which the update of marks showed discrepancies, between the marks submitted and printed. Once we receive all the mark sheets, we will correct the errors and re-issue the results once again,” GBSHE chairman Mervyn D’Souza told reporters.
More than 12,000 students in the arts, science and commerce streams got a rude shock after the GBSHE late Friday instructed all schools and students to return their original mark sheets back to the authority for correction.
“The entrance to medical courses is just days away. This has completely upset my son’s mental state. He has to submit the mark sheet and we don’t know when we will get the correct mark sheet now,” said Raghuveer Naik, whose son Rajesh gave his Class 12 examination in the science stream.
State BJP president Laxmikant Parsenkar said that the “errors” were not computer generated but a result of the gross negligence on the part of the GBSHE, which functions as a semi-autonomous entity.
“The education minister must resign and the education department officers who were responsible for this mistake cannot be spared. (Education minister) Monserrate cannot play with the lives and future of children like this,” Parsenkar said.
- Error forces Goa board to recall Class 12 mark sheets - May 21, 2011
- Probe begins into Goa marks-sheet goof-up - May 23, 2011
- Change of regime in Goa creates ripple effect - Mar 19, 2012
- Scam-tainted Congress looks to repeat win in Goa - Dec 25, 2011
- Students rejoice, teachers caution on apex court ruling - Aug 10, 2011
- Minister in trouble again, could alter poll pitch (Goa newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Lizard in midday meal: Goa orders probe - Sep 13, 2011
- Goa education minister loses 'face' on Facebook - Sep 09, 2010
- Fake marks-sheet case: Congress legislator offers to resign - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa assembly disrupted over minister's customs detention - Apr 05, 2011
- Sack, arrest Goa minister Monserrate: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- Bribe cloud over Goa minister set to fight poll - Feb 04, 2012
- Goa schools oppose 'no fail' policy this academic year - May 17, 2011
- Goa minister detained with $10 mn should quit: BJP - Apr 02, 2011
- Goa teachers agree not to fail students till Class 8 - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: autonomous entity, bjp, commerce streams, education department, education minister, education secretary, goof, gross negligence, higher secondary education, laxmikant, lurch, mark sheets, medical courses, mervyn, monserrate, naik, quandary, rude shock, science stream, software error