Entire police station staff shifted after baton-chargeSeptember 16th, 2011 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 16 (IANS) Facing flak from the opposition and human rights and women’s organisation, the Bihar government Friday transferred out all the 30 policemen of Noor Sarai police station in Nalanda district for baton-charging villagers including women.
Additional Director General of Police (headquarter) Rajyavardhan Sharma said three policemen, including station officer incharge Avadesh Singh, were suspended while all the policemen of Noor Sarai police station were transferred.
“We have been inquiring into the baton-charge on villagers and the department has taken action against three policemen by suspending them and transferring all other staff,” he said.
Sharma visited Noor Sarai police station following Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s order for a probe, and also to visit the spot and submit a report immediately on the situation.
Earlier, Bihar Human Rights Commission Thursday issued notice, returnable in three days, to state police chief Abhyanand over the baton-charge, in which several women were injured.
Nearly 18 people were injured when police baton-charged a mob that alleged Chandasi panchayat secretary Reena Devi had been killed by her in-laws Aug 24. Demanding the arrest of the in-laws, the mob indulged in stone-throwing and arson.
Reena Devi has been reported missing since Aug 24.
Nalanda is also the home district of Nitish Kumar.
- Rights panels urged to probe Bihar police assault on women - Sep 17, 2011
- Bihar rights panel asks police chief to explain lathicharge - Sep 15, 2011
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- Bihar gets its first all-women police station - Jan 23, 2012
- Tripura cop suspended for baton-charge at journalists - Jul 26, 2011
- 11 injured in Kolkata violence - Nov 07, 2011
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Gurgaon hooliganism due to lack of cops: Residents - Jan 02, 2012
- Bihar rights panel moved over illegal cremation - May 05, 2010
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Uttar Pradesh village - Aug 29, 2011
- Anna supporters baton-charged in Surat - Aug 24, 2011
- Bangladesh garment workers demand wage hike - Jun 13, 2012
- Bhojpuri singer's charge of misbehaviour to be probed - Feb 22, 2011
- 26 police officials sacked for corruption - Mar 17, 2012
- Protesters attack Bharti Walmart store in Rajasthan - Dec 01, 2011