Ensure safety of Sikhs abroad, Sukbhir Badal tells PMMarch 7th, 2011 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 7 (IANS) Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal Monday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take all possible diplomatic steps to ensure the security of Sikhs working in the US and in other countries, following the killing of a Sikh in California.
According to reports, Surinder Singh, 68, was killed and Gurmej Singh Atwal, 71, was critically injured in capital Sacramento after unidentified assailants opened fire at them.
“We are very shocked over this incident of attack on Sikhs at California. It is a suspected case of hate crime. This was the second such incident during last four months in the same US city and it has triggered panic among the Sikhs, who have a sizeable population in California,” Badal said.
“We have requested the external affairs ministry to launch a multimedia campaign in the western countries so that Sikhs should not become victims of mistaken identity. Repeated attacks on the Punjabi immigrants have sent shockwaves throughout Punjab. We demand immediate intervention of the prime minister in this matter,” he added.
- Sikhs have faced over 700 attacks since 9/11 - Aug 06, 2012
- US Muslim group offers reward in shooting of two Sikhs - Mar 07, 2011
- Reward offered in killing of two Sikhs in US - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US - Aug 06, 2012
- Elderly Sikh man succumbs to gun injuries following 'hate attack' in N. California - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US (Lead, correcting para six) - Aug 06, 2012
- American Sikh Day celebrated at California Capitol - Apr 14, 2011
- FBI joins probe into shooting of Sikhs in US - Mar 08, 2011
- US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murders - Aug 18, 2012
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Badal's wife passes away, cremation Wednesday (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Badal's wife passes away after prolonged illness - May 24, 2011
- Badal to visit Milwaukee gurdwara, meet kin of killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Punjabi film festival on anvil - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: atwal, badal, chandigarh, deputy chief minister, external affairs ministry, four months, hate crime, immigrants, manmohan, manmohan singh, mistaken identity, multimedia campaign, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sikh, sikhs, sizeable population, unidentified assailants, western countries