Ensure no police force is used against Anna: RamdevAugust 15th, 2011 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Yoga guru Baba Ramdev Monday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to ensure that Delhi Police do not use force against social activist Anna Hazare, who is scheduled to go on a fast here against corruption from Tuesday.
Ramdev and his supporters protesting against corruption were evicted by police from Ramlila Ground on the night of June 4-5. The crackdown left more than 100 people injured.
In a letter to prime minister, Ramdev said: “The entire episode at Ramlila Maidan was a barbaric act by the government, when I was on fast until death against corruption. Therefore, I do not want that incident to be repeated with Hazare.”
Ramdev had to shift his fast venue to Haridwar in Uttarakhand after the Delhi Police crackdown.
The yoga guru appealed to the prime minister that the government should also join hands with social activists fighting against corruption.
Describing what happened at Ramlila Ground on the night of June 4, Delhi Police earlier said they were forced to retaliate after Ramdev’s supporters started throwing stones and flower pots at them when they tried to reach the stage where the yoga guru was sitting.
- Hazare's detention unconstitutional: Ramdev - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare's agitation will benefit future generations: Ramdev - Aug 24, 2011
- Police blame Ramdev for Ramlila Ground troubles, injuries (Third Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Ramdev taken to Dehradun hospital; fast continues, say aides (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Police wash hands off Ramlila troubles, injuries (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Ramdev backs Hazare against allegations - Aug 14, 2011
- Ramdev returns to Ramlila Maidan for three-day fast (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Ramdev supporters head home, vow to oppose Congress - Aug 14, 2012
- Shameful chapter in Indian democracy: Jaitley - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev was asked to leave, started protesting: Delhi Police (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Ramdev to meet president - Aug 17, 2011
- Hazare supporters observe fast in Bhopal - Jun 08, 2011
- Ramdev's fast has lost meaning: Congress - Jun 11, 2011
- Police crackdown a stigma on democracy: Ramdev (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Digvijay warns Anna against another fast - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, barbaric act, corruption, delhi police, flower pots, maidan, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, police crackdown, police force, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ramdev, social activist, social activists, throwing stones, uttarakhand, venue, yoga guru