Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJBJune 13th, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday directed the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) to ensure adequate supplies of drinking water in the capital, and warned of strict action against laxity.
Dikshit, who is the DJB chairperson, instructed officials and engineers to carry out “equitable distribution” of drinking water across the capital for at least one-and-a-half hours daily.
“No one should be deprived of drinking water,” Dikshit said in a meeting held with DJB officials. She warned erring officials of termination from service.
There were reports of water shortage in New Delhi Municipal Council areas (NDMC) areas and parts of south Delhi due to damage to a pipeline in Madhuban Chowk. Areas like West Patel Nagar, Tilak Nagar, Sangam Vihar, Mukherjee Nagar and Nehru Vihar, as also trans-Yamuna areas also had reportedly faced water shortages.
Dikshit asked DJB officials to coordinate with police to prevent illegal water tapping.
“The DJB has been instructed to straightway disconnect illegal tapping and take help of police wherever necessary. The local Member of Legislative Assembly (MLAs)/Councillors must be kept in confidence. There is a need of inspecting (underground reservoirs) UGRs and tanker filling stations on daily basis by the Chief Engineers and others,” said Dikshit.
She said that commissioning of eight more UGRs during this financial year will help in equitable supply of drinking water.
- Water crisis in Delhi as Haryana cuts supply (With Image) - Jun 16, 2012
- Water crisis hits south Delhi, residents suffer - Jun 23, 2010
- Reduce water supply to VVIP areas: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 18, 2012
- Delhi JD-U demands removal of contaminated water plants - Apr 25, 2011
- Delhi government to supply free chlorine tablets (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- 'No increase in drug resistance in cholera bacteria' - Apr 13, 2011
- Penalise people found wasting water: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jun 29, 2009
- Adequate water supply by evening in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Supply to Delhi water plant improves - Jun 17, 2012
- Parts of Delhi go without water again, relief on Thursday (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Delhi thirsty for water, crisis to deepen - Jun 21, 2012
- Dikshit urged to get drinking water in primary schools - Nov 10, 2011
- Checks on to ensure water quality: Delhi Jal Board - Jun 20, 2011
- Need for solution to end water accumalation in residential areas: Walia - Nov 24, 2010
- Delhi's parched areas to get water by Wednesday (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: adequate supplies, chief engineers, chief minister, council areas, daily basis, drinking water, equitable distribution, half hours, local member, member of legislative assembly, nehru, sangam, sheila dikshit, south delhi, strict action, tilak nagar, underground reservoirs, water shortage, water shortages, west patel nagar