Emotions overflow as Karunanidhi meets jailed daughter (Lead)June 21st, 2011 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) It was a meeting where emotions overflowed as DMK leader M. Karunanidhi Tuesday met his daughter Kanimozhi in Tihar jail here after a gap of about a month.
The 88-year-old former Tamil Nadu chief minister met her at around 4.30 p.m. after getting special permission.
“Kalaignar met his daughter Kanimozhi inside the superintendent’s room of jail number six and spent over 20 minutes with her alone, chatting. His wife Rajathi Ammal and son M.K Alagiri joined them later,” source in Tihar said.
The family members were with Kanimozhi for nearly 30 minutes and they chatted in Tamil. Karunanidhi also brought his daughter some special “murukku” (a south Indian rice snack).
Kanimozhi has been in the jail since May 20 as a co-accused in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Her father had come to meet her first time May 23.
DMK sources said Kanimozhi asked her mother to take care of her son Adhityan, who was expected to come, but did not turn up.
“The meeting was a family affair. No jail authorities accompanied them,” a Tihar official said.
After some time, the DMK chief also met A. Raja, former communications minister, and Sharad Kumar, Kalaignar TV managing director, who are accused in the same case.
The supreme court had Monday rejected the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar.
- Karunanidhi to meet jailed Kanimozhi again - Jun 20, 2011
- Karunanidh to visit Delhi Monday, Baalu to attend UPA anniversary (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidhi to visit daughter in Tihar jail Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
- Kanimozhi's mother breaks down in court - May 21, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, cancels trip back home (Roundup) - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, Raja, Sharad Kumar in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi anxious, hopeful Kanimozhi will get bail - Oct 24, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi in Tihar - Oct 22, 2011
- In solitary cell, Kanimozhi pines for son; reads, writes - Jun 26, 2011
- Kalaignar TV now fights to clear its name - Apr 25, 2011
- Kanimozhi relaxed after bail verdict deferred - May 14, 2011
Tags: bail pleas, chief minister, dmk chief, emotions overflow, family affair, family members, gap, indian rice, jail authorities, june 21, kanimozhi, m karunanidhi, managing director, murukku, New Delhi, number six, sharad, snack, spectrum allocation, tamil nadu